AdWords
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Upgraded URLs and anchor links

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

Another question regarding upgraded URLs:

Some of my ads lead to an inner page on the site, and to a specific tab on the page using an anchor link. This is important since different tabs are relevant to different visitors. 

www.mysite.com/product1.html#yellow

The URL used to be www.mysite.com/product.html?ref=google&{keyword}_{matchtype}#yellow

However, now with the upgraded URLs, I need to include the #yellow in the final URL, since it's not part of the tracking template. This creates this link, which doesn't work properly (doesn't go to the correct tab, since the anchor is not at the end): 

www.mysite.com/product.html#yellow?ref=google&{keyword}_{matchtype}

Is there any way to get around this?

I'm using the tracking template at the campaign level, and don't want to start modifying each ad that has an anchor link. 

Thanks

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author PPCer
September 2015

Re: Upgraded URLs and anchor links

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hmm... it's interesting!

How about using Custom Parameter for your 'anchor'?

Final URL = www.mysite.com/product.html

Tracking Template = {lpurl}?ref=google&{keyword}_{matchtype}&{_mytab}

{_mytab} is the custom parameter here which you can use with the Tracking Template at campaign level in your existing setup. And at the individual ad/adgroup level (as required) you can pass the value for this custom parameter {_mytab}

If you pass #yellow as the custom parameter value at an adgroup level. All the ads in that ad group will have the following landing page url 

www.mysite.com/product.html?ref=google&{keyword}_{matchtype}#yellow

It will take you to the tab you want. 

Hope it helps. 

Thanks
Ratan Jha

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So confusing.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for your answer! I was having this issue with some sitelink extensions that included anchors in the URL.

I noticed clicks were coming through as:

mysite.com/?gclid=xx#anchor?utm_campaign=campaign and the URLs weren't being reported into Analytics clean.

I've added "anchor" as a custom parameter and adjusted the tracking template to:

{lpurl}?utm_campaign={_campaign}{_anchor}

{lpurl}?utm_campaign={_campaign}&{_anchor} >> It seemed including & also worked to hop to the anchor

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

This thread has been closed to new replies since it was solved in 2015.

If you have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation. It's always best to start your own thread versus making comments to random threads, even if your issue seems related.

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic. Making your new thread is fast, easy and allows more specific help directly to you (and not all of the other members in the old thread).

Thank you.