5.3K members online now
5.3K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Unsure if I'm linking Analytics Goals to Adwords Conversion Correctly

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi friends,

This is my first ecommerce setup and I'm seeking a bit of guidance to ensure I'm correctly setting up the link to AdWords

I've got standard ecommerce set up on my site (via GTM).

I've defined a goal in Analytics here:

=Screenshot 2017-09-28 23.20.19.pngHowever, when I go to AdWords to import my goal, I see an additional goal called Transactions that I did not create. I assume this is something automatic from having Ecommerce enabled.

Screenshot 2017-09-28 23.21.09.png

When I select my "Purchase Complete" goal in AdWords to import it I have the option to get the conversion value from analytics.

Screenshot 2017-09-28 23.20.42.png

I want the value of my conversions to make it back into AdWords for calculating CPA and using it to automatically manage bids etc.

My confusion is: If I select the goal I created, which currently has no value assigned to it in Analytics (because I want ecommerce values from each sale), how will the values make it back to Adwords?

Which Goal should I import? The one I created "Purchase Complete" or the autogenerated one "Transactions".

How do ecommerce transaction values get linked to Goals I've defined in GA?

Thanks for your time!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

In most cases if you import transactions into AdWords from Analytics the actual dollar value is brought across which enables you to do the adjustments for the bidding that you are talking about. This is a good option with most ecommerce solutions. What you must be careful of is importing secondary goals that also add the values - because if you are not careful you can get the same sale triggering two or more goals with the values being added both times - which, of course, can make your sales look great!

Re: Unsure if I'm linking Analytics Goals to Adwords Conversion Correctly

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Stickleback,

Thank you so much for responding.

Yes, that's exactly the type of issue I'm trying to avoid. So here's another way to frame the question.

In AdWords, should I import both my custom GA "Purchase Completed" goal and the Ecommerce built in "Transaction" goal?

and

If I was to only import my GA "Purchase Completed" Goal, how do I ensure the ecommerce sales values come along with that goal to Adwords?

Thank you for your time.

Highlighted

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

If you are only trying to track transactions, then you shouldn't need to setup any additional goals. Is the ecommerce transaction data reporting accurately in analytics - All traffic, all sources? If so, then you're set. Import those transactions to AdWords, and you're done.

Tom

Experts in the Topic
stickleback