AdWords
5.7K members online now
5.7K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Unspecified Locations In Dimensions Tab

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi All,

Since the Majority of my Ads seem to be showing on the Dimensions Tab as "Unspecified" Locations, how can I be sure that Google isn't showing my Ads in areas of the U.S. that I have excluded??

It only seems logical that if they can't even identify a state, that they should probably exclude those placements.

Is anyone aware of a setting that I can exclude the "Unspecified" locations??

If there currently is not a setting to do so, could someone please suggest one to Google?

Thanks In Advance,

RPquest

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Unspecified Locations In Dimensions Tab

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi RPquest,

Location targeting in Adwords is still not perfect.

The explanation from Google about Unspecified Location is this

You may notice data from "Unspecified" areas. There are a number of reasons why an area where your ad showed might be unspecified:
 •Country-specific domains: If someone performs a search on a country-specific domain (such as google.fr, google.co.uk) but her IP address shows that she is located in a different country, then we'll record her location based on the country-specific domain, but we won't be able to identify the city or region.
 •IP address or search query: We can't specify the location from the IP address and the search query didn't indicate interest in a recognized location.
 •Multiple cities/regions in Google Maps: The search was performed on Google Maps within a large geographic area that included several cities or regions.

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2453994

Please go through one of the earlier threads below, which has a detailed discussion about the same issue (Location targeting).

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Manage-ads/locations/m-p/17537/highlight/true#M1450

Hope this helps,

Info

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Info,

Thanks for the reply.

I have already read up on what Google states are the possible reasons for the "Unspecified" showing in locations but it still doesn't help.

The most that is showing is United States. Any other category shows the "Unspecified" location in the Majority of the impressions on the Dimension Tab.

Again, it appears that Google really doesn't know where these impressions are coming from other than the U.S.

So, since they can't guarantee that they are not coming from my excluded states, I believe that they should either be excluded by Google, or at a minimum, allow me to exclude them.

Thanks,

RPquest

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi RPquest,

I completely agree with you.

just want to clear a small doubt, which advanced location targeting did you select.

Is it the default? - People in, searching for, or viewing pages about your targeted location.

Info

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Info,

My settings are under Advanced Location Options:

TargetSmiley Tongueeople in my targeted location

ExcludeSmiley Tongueeople in, searching for, or viewing pages about my excluded locations.

I believe that these settings are correct to exclude certain locations as long as Google can identify the unidentifiable or specify the unspecified (LOL).

Thanks,

RPquest

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi RPquest,

Thanks for the update.

As you have selected the option - People in my targeted location I don't think there is much you can do now.

I have always experienced 'Unspecified Locations' issue when the campaign is targeted to a state or states.

But no issues when the targeting is countrywide. This don't answer your query though..

Cheers,

Info

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I had a similar feeling when viewing my reports by geographic location because I do specifically exclude some areas and the unspecified geographic area was usually one of the higher impression areas but with the lowest CTR. However after running a very comprehensive report, I found that those unspecified areas reduced my CTR by .3%-.4%. You can set your campaign to only show your ad to certain locations and I think it will then ignore the unspecified locations, but the tremendous work to do that is not worth the .3%-.4% IMHO.