AdWords
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Unproportional CTR from 65+ demographic on multiple accounts

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Following some additional digging into demographic profiles for a few of our clients I've noticed that there is an unusually high proportion of those aged 65+ that are clicking through display ads. This is happening on multiple accounts (at least 5 out of 10) and for products/services that really dont not pertain to this age group. 

In addition, for these same accounts in question, I've noticed that many of these click-throughs are coming through Mobile apps such as "Magic Jigsaw, Word Search Puzzles, Crossword (multiple types), Solitaire (multiple types), etc. These apps are providing CTR that ranges from 7% up to 65%.

My theory: 1) these are the type of mobile games that the older generation would play 2) this older demo is mistakenly clicking on these ads...providing a higher than average CTR for 65+ demo playing mobile games.

1. Has anyone else noticed or come across this same pattern of an unusually high CTR rate from the 65+ demo?
  2. Did you end up just excluding this age group from the ads to resolve the process? I'm all for getting click throughs but not from people that aren't prospective buyers.
  3. Are you able to relate "Placement" CTR with age group CTR? E.g. If you had 10 clicks from "Mobile App: Crossword Unlimited" are you able to drill down and see the demographic date in behind each of the 10?

Any help would be appreciated here.

1 Expert replyverified_user

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Or all  of the above options.... Smiley Surprised

The question comes down to: do you have any age group  which is your targeted audience. If you don't, and the product fits all ages, then I would not investigate the matter.  Unlike other platforms, it's harder  for Google to interpret the age based  on  user behavior(s).

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

I wouldn't say that a better than average CTR alone is enough to make any assumptions... What is the total impression volume/% of all ages? The "smallest" audiences in terms of age seem to be 18-24 and 65+, which makes sense. You could have the highest CTR's of any demographic, but also the lowest overall click volume, just because the audience size is smaller. 

Like @MosheTLV said, it's all about the conversions/sales. If an audience doesn't generate a profitable ROAS, and you have to cut costs, then consider excluding or reducing the bids on the unprofitable audience(s). 

Tom

Re: Unproportional CTR from 65+ demographic on multiple accounts

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Many thanks for your and @MosheTLV's response. A bit more detail on on one account.

One of my clients offers health related services for pregnant women. The display ad imagery clearly shows a woman's pregnant belly and content specific to the image. We originally did not exclude any age groups thinking that the appropriate demographic would self-identify with this image. The response:

Screen Shot 2017-04-17 at 11.51.15 AM.png

53 out of 167 total clicks came from those aged 45-65+(now currently excluded). This is nearly 32% which to me seems very odd for an age group which is typically outside of being pregnant. Now I suppose that the argument could be made that this age group is looking on behalf of others but I wouldn't expect this to be nearly 1/3rd of all clicks.

II suppose that there is a chance that many people are falsifying their age category via their profile set-up and suggesting that they are older than they actually are. There is also a larger than average older demo where we are advertising too but I still find it very odd to have nearly 1/3 of the clicks come from people that clearly don't relate to the services being offered.

Thoughts?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@Jason C;

Correct;

Demographic targeting is far from being a perfect targeting method.  And as you can see the majority of your clicks (63) are attributed to  "unknown".

Statistically, you can ask a reverse question: how many users  within the excluded group had been  actually within the targeted group and you might have missed them (because wrongly excluded by the system)

So,  at least for now, until the data is more refined - I would not recommend demographic targeting.

My 2 pennies....

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So if I understand you correctly you wouldn't exclude these age groups?

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Correct. I would not use demographic targeting, and target  the audience based on the other targeting methods.