AdWords
5.5K members online now
5.5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Understanding the 'Calls to a telephone number on your website' conversion tracking

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello,

I have the 'Calls to a telephone number on your website' conversion tracking setup for my website, and the conversions appear to be registering, which is good. However, I tried to test this the other day by clicking on one of the live ads - and I still saw the websites original number (and not the one that should automatically replace it using the JS code). I even tried visiting again from my mobile on 4G.

Why is this?

And is this conversion feature still only able to be used for one phone number? I have some Adwords clients who have multiple numbers on their site, and/or individual DDI/branch numbers.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Understanding the 'Calls to a telephone number on your website' conversion tracking

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Christian G,

Sounds like something is off in your script to update phone numbers. If you have more than one instance of the phone number on your page, be sure you are using the multiple instance version of the script. Make sure you have the correct class name in each element that displays your phone number.

I can't answer your last question.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the input. I have multiple instances, but all the exact same number - surely I don't need multiple versions of the script if the number is the same throughout the site, even if used in say the body copy and then in the footer?

Also can you clarify on what you mean by needing the correct class name?

I've followed Adwords instructions exactly for configuring and inserting this code, and I don't recall anything about needing particular class names.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Christian G,

Ok, if they are all the same number that's easier. See this page: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6095883?hl=en

Look at

Edit website code manually to display a Google forwarding number

All instances of the phone number should be surrounded by a span tag, all with the same class name.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Pete,

Under 'Edit website code manually to display a Google forwarding number', it says:

If you entered your phone number for the “Phone number” setting in step 2 above, you don’t need to follow the steps below. If you selected “Don’t enter a number,” you or your webmaster now need to do the following

In my scenario, I'm entering the phone number into the 'Phone Number' setting as it appears on the website. So in theory I shouldn't need to do everything after this point (i.e. what you've advised with the class name).

Could it be because I've got the phone number within a <a href>, with a tel: link?