AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Understanding Max.CPC in Report Editor

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey everyone,

I want to see the exact bids that were set via API calls for every day and every keyword / adgroup in the past year for our SKAG structured campaign.

This information is basically available in the change history, but kind of hidden within the comments (e.g "raised bid from 0.3 to 0.6 for phrase match keyword x").

The way the data is available here makes it impossible for me to use it in any further analysis (CSV export is possible but would require a massive clean up).

Though I'm interested in the changes that took place, it'd be happy with just the actual bids that were made and calculate the difference myself. But this is kind of a challange to me.

My idea was to get this data by generating a report about the exact bid on a specific day per keyword / adgroup.

But I only get bids that don't correspond to the documented changes that were done via the API calls.

In the Report Editor I chose the columns like used in the change history: Day, Campaign, Keywordgroup and finally Max.CPC per Keyword but the results are not what actually happened.

Example: Change history reported a bid raise from .4 to .65 but as a Max.CPC for this date the Report Editor as well as the normal statistics table are telling me it was at .17 on the keyword level and on 1 for the adgroup.

Is it possible to get this kind of data? What am I missing here?

If not, is there a way to get this data without manually copy/pasting the change history entries?

Best,

Marc

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Marc T
September 2016

Re: Understanding Max.CPC in Report Editor

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Marc,

I am sorry to say that unfortunately you will not be able to do what you are up to via the Report Editor. The underlying reason is that no matter what you do or how you slice and dice metrics and/or dimensions within it, the bid values displayed will invariably be current ones. Even if you set the time range back to a former date you'll be shown the current bids. That will prevent you from identifying, monitoring or analyzing former bid changes whether you stay online or download the report to excel.

However, perhaps the API guys can give you some more useful advice; that's where they reside:

*** AdWords API Forum ***
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/adwords-api

Best,
Lakatos

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Marc T
September 2016

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Marc,

I am sorry to say that unfortunately you will not be able to do what you are up to via the Report Editor. The underlying reason is that no matter what you do or how you slice and dice metrics and/or dimensions within it, the bid values displayed will invariably be current ones. Even if you set the time range back to a former date you'll be shown the current bids. That will prevent you from identifying, monitoring or analyzing former bid changes whether you stay online or download the report to excel.

However, perhaps the API guys can give you some more useful advice; that's where they reside:

*** AdWords API Forum ***
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/adwords-api

Best,
Lakatos

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Lakatos,

thank you so much for the quick info!
That is what I was suspecting. Any ideas why Google is doing this? How is anyone supposed to analyze campaign performance accuratly if you don't get to see what you were bidding..?

Will have to stick around in the API forum then.

Thanks again,
Marc

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
My best guess is that should be due to storage capacity. Bid changes are quite frequent when more and more advertisers use automated rules, strategies, scripts or API services.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Lakatos,

could you point me to a resource that states which metrics do go back in time and which doesn't? The API doesn't seem to offer this functionality at the moment.

Thanks a lot,
Marc