AdWords
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Understanding Goal Conversion Source/Medium

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm trying to use Adwords and analytics to better understand my ad spend and return on investment.  I have an online seasonal business in which 95% of purchases are made between January and June.  I have two goals set up, one for "signup" to my website, and the other for "purchase" for my website.  The conversion code is set on two pages, one for a "sign up thank you" page, and other for a "purchase thank you" page.  The conversions are being tracked properly.

My problem is understanding how I'm acquiring those customers.    In Adwords, I go to the Conversions section | Goals | Overview section, choose my Payment goal,  and choose "Source/Medium".  

The top source is a "Paypal" referral, with about 40% of payments from that source.  When someone pays for their subscription, they are taken to paypal, and when the payment is complete, they are redirected to the "purchase thank you" page.  So this "source" isn't helpful at ALL.  What I'm really confused about is that if google thinks this is the source, then 100% of the payments should be from that source, since it's the only way to get to the "purchase thank you" page.

So how can I eliminate this paypal referral from the source, and track the actual initial acquisition of these customers?

Understanding Goal Conversion Source/Medium

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

If you are using the universal analytics, then you can just add paypal.com to the referral exclusion list. That's found in Google Analytics. Go to Admin > Tracking info (in property column) > referal exclusion list

If you aren't using universal analytics what you need to do is append ?utm_nooverride=1 to the end of the link that returns them from Paypal to your site. The link below gives a good explanation on where to find that in Paypal.

http://www.practicalecommerce.com/articles/91286-Google-Analytics-How-to-Track-PayPal-Transactions

Best regards,

David