AdWords
4.6K members online now
4.6K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

UTM tags suddenly overriding GCLID

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We have auto tagging set up in adwords and in analytics we have not selected the checkbox that allows manual (UTM) to override the auto tags (gclid)...

Although suddenly, since Monday/Tuesday this week, all of our UTMs appear to be overriding the gclids - leading to a big move in our GA reporting.

Has anyone seen anything similar?

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: UTM tags suddenly overriding GCLID

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
I've tested the following scenario: a "fake" gclid apended to a URL and also campaign tags. And the utm tags registered in Analytics (the system recorded the values in the utm tages).

However, I don't think this experiment is conclusive as the gclid was fake and Analytics had no way to pick up the correct campaign data from AdWords.

Are you sure that when people land on your website they are not redirected, for some reason, to a URL that no longer contains the gclid?

If, by any (small) chance, a click on something like example.com/?gclid=test&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=someCampaign&utm_term=someTerm&utm_content=someContent is redirected to example.com/somepage.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=someCampaign&utm_term=someTerm&utm_content=someContent then what happened to you is due to a website glitch, not necessarily a system one.

You could try the following experiment: use one browser to click one of your ads. Copy the destination URL, including gclid and utm values. Paste it into a different browser. See what Analytics records.

Hope it helps.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Re: UTM tags suddenly overriding GCLID

Community Manager
# 3
Community Manager
Thanks Calin