AdWords
3.7K members online now
3.7K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

UTM Tracking with Auto-tagging

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

I've set up Auto-tagging on our Adwords account - however, I would like to define the utm_campaign for different ad groups. Is this possible?

Thanks.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: UTM Tracking with Auto-tagging

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Jim G,

Yes, it's definitely possible. You can use both manual and auto tagging at the same time. However, it is recommended to use only one at a time. 

Thanks
Ratan Jha
Join me on Google+   |   Tweeter

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC.
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Re: UTM Tracking with Auto-tagging

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Jim, how are things?

Although it's possible to use custom UTM while auto-tagging is on, I wouldn't recommend on your case just to change the name of campaigns.

The "utm_campaign" parameters is based on your actual Adwords campaign name, so all you have to do here is change the name on Adwords for one that suits you better and that will be transmitted to GA.

Auto-tagging and link between Adwords and Analytics are there to prevent human error, give more time and more flexibility over data. Custom UTM with auto-tagging on is just for a few website that won't allow a thing called "Arbitrery URLs", which doesn't seem your case. Also, using custom UTM with auto-tagging can create a lot of data discrepancy.

If by any chance you still want to achieve that, you need to turn ON the option "Allow manual tagging (UTM values) to override auto-tagging (GCLID values)" on your GA property.

Hope this article helps too: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033981?hl=en

Cheers,

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click