AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

UTM Tracking alongside Auto-Tagging

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

My agency runs Google Display Network campaigns through AdWords, using UTM parameters in order to link campaign and content details to other display campaigns run through third parties. 

However, we usually have the AdWords campaign linked to Analytics with auto-tagging turned on. I believe this is causing the auto-tagging (gclid) to override the UTM tracking and mess up our tracking intentions. 

I am aware of the Property Setting "allow manual tagging to override auto-tagging"; however, I am concerned that this will inhibit the importing of Analytics data into AdWords, which is vital to our optimization process.

Can anyone verify that checking the box to "allow manual tagging to override auto-tagging" will not affect the review of Analytics data in AdWords? If it will, is there another solution for using both UTM and auto-taggin in tandem? 

Thank you. 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: UTM Tracking alongside Auto-Tagging

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Anthony
I don't think there's any documentation stating clearly that the override will not impact data import but we use manual tagging with autotagging for many of our clients and I can confirm that from our perspective, it works fine and as designed.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hello Dave,

Thank you for the response. When you say "I can confirm that...it works fine and as designed," do you mean that you can still see Analytics data (Bounce Rate, % New Sessions, Average Session Duration, Pages/Session) in AdWords, even though you've checked the manual tagging override option?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Anthony M
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Anthony,
I've had another look at this as I was initially talking about imported conversions (Goals as conversions). I wanted to be sure that the usage statistics were imported correctly too. From what I can see in the SINGLE account where we are actually using manual override, the stats in the GA columns are quite close. Not exact, but close enough.

There's always going to be discrepencies (you can see a list here https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2617364?hl=en )

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
That solves both of my issues. Thanks for reporting back your usage case. Have a wonderful week.