AdWords
1.3K members online now
1.3K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

UTM_Term param not passing match types?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

hey guys,

not too sure if its an issue with the set up or a limitation of the utm_term param.

So in my tracking template I've set up utm_term={keyword} so it returns the keyword that was triggered. What I realised is that only broad match modifier keywords with the + prefixes are captured together with the keywords, but the phrase quote marks and exact square brackets are not present.

How can I capture the " " and [ ] or at least an indication of the match type?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: UTM_Term param not passing match types?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Lin, The term parameter is intended to only track the keywords from paid and organic searches. It is intended to only bring through the actual query used, therefor it will not bring in the phrase and exact matches.

However, there is a fix to this that might help. Manually adding a tracking parameter to the end of your URL. eg: mysite.com/service?match=broad You can view the full setup here http://www.pitstopmedia.com/sem/powerful-google-adwords-analytics-combo . The solution does require filters so I suggest you create a new view. You can view the filter setup here http://www.pitstopmedia.com/sem/best-ppc-practice-exact-keywords

You can also use the filter by itself without modifying the URL if it is just the keyword data you are looking for.

Another option is to go to Google Analytics and look for Acquisition > AdWords > Search Queries and add a secondary dimension or "Query Match Type" to see the match types for each keyword

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Bryan.

I actually want to pass this through into a CRM on the backend and was hoping the UTM Term would be able to pass the match types so it won't require any config on the CRM side.

maybe i can pass utm_term={keyword}-{matchtype} and then delimit by the - character to split them up after pulling the CRM report
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Xuanbin L
December 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
As far as I know, ValueTrack {keyword} will give you actual keyword from the ad, not the actual search query. Also, it won't give you match types either. You will need to use separate ValueTrack matchtype for it.

Thanks
Ratan

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Ratan. Yup, spot on about the keyword vs search query.

For match types I am able to get modified broad match with the ValueTrack {keyword}, e.g +Google +AdWords shows up but not "Google AdWords" or [Google AdWords] so I was just wondering if it was a limitation or a some issues with my implementations of the trackign template.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

You are welcome @Xuanbin L. There's no issue with your setup. What you trying to achieve is not actually supported Smiley Happy. Better use the separate ValueTrack - matchtype.

All the best.

Thanks
Ratan Jha