AdWords
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

USA PPC search results mixed with UK PPC results

SCL
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
SCL
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

My business colleague is currently in the USA and is seeing something strange when he views Google UK to maintain our campaigns.This issue is also present when using the preview tool.

The PPC search results are a mixture of UK PPC Results and USA search results. All the organic listings don't seem to be effected and are displaying the correct UK results.

Does anyone know if the tech people for Adwords are working on any location settings as this issue has only been present for the past week or so?

Even though my business colleague currently has an American IP Address when he searches www.google.CO.UK the results shown should be just the uk results and not a mixture of UK and USA PPC Search results?

Thanks

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: USA PPC search results mixed with UK PPC results

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

HI SCL, when you say your colleague is seeing "UK PPC Results" can you clarify what you mean?  Are you saying he's seeing your UK targeted Ads or that he's seeing results for .co.uk domains?

The specific Google domain searched (.co.uk, .com, .fr, etc.) is a component of detecting location - Google doesn't just use IP address - so it's possible this is also a factor.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

SCL
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
SCL
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Jon,

I can confirm that UK PPC Search results including my text ads are showing with USA PPC search results in the united states. You can see this error if you use the preview tool and choose your location as USA. My text ads are showing in the USA even though my location to advertise in is only set to united kingdom.

I am contacting support as we speak.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi SCL, as I mentioned in my previous reply, if your colleague is using google.co.uk then this may have a bearing on the issue.  Also, if your colleague is normally based in the UK, has he entered a UK address in his Google Account profile and is he signed in while searching?  

Have you checked Analytics to see how frequently your Ads are being shown overseas?

I do honestly suspect this issue is related to your colleague's UK origins, and use of the .co.uk domain, although I'd be intrigued to hear if support tell you anything else.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

SCL
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
SCL
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Jon, Thanks for the reply.

No he isn't signed in to any Google account Profiles whilst searching. I have noticed that we can view the errors also from the united kingdom by using the preview tool. Just perform the following and you will see it for yourself;

1) Access the Adwords Preview Tool. Either logged in to your Google Account profile or not.
2) Choose any keyword you like.
3) Select www.Google.CO.UK as the domain.

This should now bring up search results for only google uk

4) Select United States (USA) as your location.
5) View results.

As you'll see you will get mixed ppc results from the united kingdom and the united states.

6) Select any other country as your location eg. spain, france, portugal, china and you will see that you will ONLY get uk based results.

It shouldn't matter what your country location is set to. So long as your domain is set to search on Google.co.uk you should only get uk based results.

It seems somehow the united states settings by the internal Google system is somehow getting mixed with the uk settings.

What is strange is that any other country location used to search on Google.co.uk isn't showing mixed PPC Search results, but the united states is.

I've detailed all my results to support so we will see what they respond with. Can you see the discrepancies from your end jon?......and any reason why the location united states should mix the ppc search results but other country locations dont?

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi SCL,

First thing I would check is the setting for geo-targeting. Is it location-based only, or does it include search intent.

It is very likely, if you include search intent (the default), that search on co.uk will get you UK targeted ads, Plus, if your IP address or other location factors appear to be within the US, you would get those, the US targeted ads, too.

The US target for your ads does not limit showing your ad to only google.com. The Google domain for the search is only one of the signals. Searching on co.uk indicates intent--I am looking for this stuff in the UK. The geo-targeting is based on the location of the user, not the location of the web site.

My bet is that if you turn off search intent you will stop seeing these. Of course, I could be wrong about your search intent current setting. But this is how I understand geo-targeting works.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

SCL
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
SCL
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi,

I'm still awaiting a response from the Adwords customer services.

I have been in ireland recently so tried my findings there. I can confirm that when i search on google.co.uk from the location ireland i am also getting mixed ppc search results (Irish and UK ppc search results)

It seems from my tests that the tech team at Google have implemented some location of interest changes to the Google search network which is causing this. What is strange is that;

1) My keywords are not connected to the USA, Ireland (or any other country) in anyway which could cause the location of interest to be triggered.

2) As myself and my business partner travel to different countries quite regularly this new location of interest upgrade from the tech team at Google make it almost impossible for us to track or use the preview tool when abroad as our text ads are mixed with the country we are searching from.

3) Does this location of interest upgrade result in my ads competing with international country PPC search results, and how does this effect est first page bid values?

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Hi,

I'm personally not convinced of the issue here without example keywords, account settings etc...

But, in case you haven't noticed, there was an announcement about a change to "intent"; http://adwords.blogspot.com/2013/10/improvements-to-location-targeting-for.html

But I don't feel like this is going to have a major impact if the accounts settings are in line with your goals.

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

SCL
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
SCL
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Tommy,

To give you a quick insight, my settings are as follows;

1) My Location Targeting is set to: location of interest
2) My Main keyword is [Life Insurance]

When searching Google uk (Google.co.uk) from any country outside of the UK you see mixed PPC search results. Half from the UK and Half from the country you are searching from.

I don't know why the Google Adwords system would seem to think my adverts or keyword [Life Insurance] is of any interest to anyone in countries outside of the UK

I have read the article you sent but still my keyword shouldn't be triggered in other countries unless their search includes the following eg; Life Insurance UK, or something to that effect.

What the Google system is doing is taking my location (usually IP Address of desktop or laptop) and using this when searching on Google.co.uk to provide me with mixed PPC Search Results.

As stated in my previous post this makes maintaining my Adwords account abroad almost impossible as we cannot use the preview tool when abroad as our text ads are mixed with the country we are searching from, and in addition does this location of interest upgrade result in my ads competing with international country PPC search results, and how does this effect est first page bid values?