AdWords
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Two AdWords accounts, one landing page, how many tags?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello shiny happy people,

I just had a discussion with one of the amazing employees of the AdWords support center, and I just want to check the information I was given. 

For a client we are running two AdWords Accounts. We have one landing page. What silly us were thinking: "Wrap a conversion tag and a remarketing tag from each AdWords account into the landing page, then we're good. Per account two conversion tags and remarketing tags." Right? No? 

I'm trying to figure out a good practice for tracking the results of the two AdWords account independently from each other. AdWords Support tells me I need two different landing pages. Really? 

Thank you in advance. 

3 Expert replyverified_user

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

I believe using two AdWords accounts to drive traffic to the same landing page, especially if they use similar keywords, violates Google's "double serving" principle/policy and is considered an unfair advantage:

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6020954?hl=en

I would follow their advice because this falls into the zone of things which can get an account banned from Google, even if it were to be accidental. 

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

I would suggest to set up conversion tracking using Google Analytics automatically importing goals as conversions in each AdWords account:

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1034306?hl=en 

Cheers, Alexey
UAWC Agency

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you Steve.

I should have mentioned that the two AdWords accounts are both targeting different countries. That should change the story, right? 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you Alexey. 

Unfortunately the client can not give us access to their GA account. That restricts us. 

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Yes, if the campaigns are targeting different countries, you should be ok.  However I would call Google again and double-check that.  You don't want to become accidentally associated with any account that gets banned!

Do you have control of the landing page?  Using landing page services it is so simple just to setup two variants or instances of a landing page. Better safe than sorry.

Re: Two AdWords accounts, one landing page, how many tags?

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

@sierrrd

So here is the rule:

Promoting the same or similar products / services, by targeting the same audience, by the same business entity is a violation of "gaining unfair advantage"

Different countries are considered is  usually different audience.... (Different culture, pricing, language.....)- 

However, that would not be necessary if targeting two states in the USA

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Badged Google Partner
# 8
Badged Google Partner

Why have two accounts just to target two different countries? Currency?

Tom

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author sierrrd
October 2016

Rising Star
# 9
Rising Star

And to answer the original question - yes, you can have the conversion tracking and remarketing from both accounts on the same page and they will work as expected. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you. We are giving it a go. 

Two different accounts, because of two different HQs of a big corporation, one in country A, the other in Country B. Languages the same, currency different, but most importantly: Different company culture, different puppets, different marketing managers.