AdWords
6.5K members online now
6.5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Trying to Understand Referral Type

Rising Star
# 1
Rising Star

Hey Warriors, 

I'm looking at a Top Conversion Path report in GA and I'm seeing a lot of conversions that include some kind of email server in the middle or at the end of the path. They have names like: 

us-mg5.mail.yahoo.com / referral 

web.mail.comcast.net / referral
dub119.mail.live.com / referral 

It looks like these are email servers but I'm trying to understand the behaviour behind these. Thoughts? Also should I exclude these IPs from GA for more accurate conversion reports? 

Joshua, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’
4 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Trying to Understand Referral Type

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@Joshua R@Joshua R

Hmm.... Interesting....

Let me ping one of  our Analytics Gurus... ::

Please be patient, he is traveling now. It could be awhile before he replies.

@AdWiser ?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
October 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
He is actually standing in line, waiting to enter the US Smiley Wink. Mail servers they are. People clicked a link, in an e-mail, while reading it in a web browser, so Analytics treated it just like any other referral link.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Joshua,

These could also be from ads being shown on those sites. If you are running email promotions, you might consider manually tagging the URL's so you can track the response (if you're not already doing this).

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
have you resolved this?

i see these referrals for multiple accounts as well and would like to tag it as 'email' (by search and replace?)

would love to hear the solution.
anyone please?