AdWords
3.7K members online now
3.7K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Trouble with conversion tracking in an iframe?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all:

I'll try to keep this short. We're using 3rd-party marketing automation software (from Pardot). This allows us to define a form that captures some information (email etc), then redirects to a thank-you page or a page where some content can be downloaded. When we hit that thank-you page, we want to record an AdWords conversion.

The Pardot form is hosted on a subdomain (info.xyz.com). So we have a landing page on our main domain (www.xyz.com), with the Pardot form in an iframe.

When the Pardot form is submitted, it takes the user to thank-you page content that has the AdWords conversion tracking code in it. This all happens within the iframe.

I can verify that the conversion code is properly embedded in the thank-you content. And I can verify it calls back to AdWords as it should. However, the Google Tag assistant shows a couple of errors:

- Ref/URL GET param did not match with actual URL

- code should be right before closing body tag

The Google help on the first of these ( https://support.google.com/tagassistant/answer/2978937?hl=en#ref_url ) specifically warns the conversion tracking code may NOT work in an iframe.

Yet Pardot seems to maintain that putting their forms in an iframe is a common practice.

Can anyone speak to this iframing issue? "Should" AdWords conversion code work for form completion content shown in an iframe?

Apologies for the length of the question.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Trouble with conversion tracking in an iframe?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Steve L,

It depends on how you fill the content of the iFrame.

If your iFrame has a src attribute that points to the URL of the thank you page, that works. At least I think it should.

If your iFrame is filled with Ajax or call-back content, the code won't run. That doesn't work I am sure.

Is the form in the same iFrame then thank you page is returned to or is a new iFrame created? If the form is in an iFrame and it's a simple submit button, the content of the new page is delivered to that iFrame and the script will run.

Is the site Live? Are you recording conversions?

Best of Luck,

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee
I think it should still work I wouldn't worry too much about it. The only thing is that AdWords Conversion tracking UI will report based on the URL of the iframe not the real URL of the page.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Steve,

We are running into the same issue with Pardot and GA. Were you able to get this working? The issue seems to be with using Pardot iframes vs a straight form. Any help you can provide would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Justin

Trouble with conversion tracking in an iframe?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

hi justin

if you are using pardot and trying to track conversions in google analytics i think this will help

http://help.pardot.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2133600-tracking-google-analytics-conversions#get...