AdWords
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Transactions discrepancy between AdWords and Analytics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello there,

I have an AdWords account linked to an Analytics account. I have imported e-commerce transactions from Analytics to be used as conversions in AdWords however I see some discrepancies there. While in a month I get X conversions in AdWords, in Analytics I have X+13% transactions for source/medium Google/cpc

I wondered about the atgtribution models used in both systems, but then again - it is an import. Why doesn't AdWords import ALL the transaction attributed to the source in Analytics?

Thank you in advance for any help.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hey Ondřej ,

This can be little complicated nowadays since you can choose your attribute model for AdWords although your standard model is 'Last click model'. The Gives all credit for the conversion to the last-clicked ad and corresponding keyword.

Source: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6259715#attribution_modeling_report 

Analytics uses the 'The Last Non-Direct Click'. This model ignores direct traffic and attributes 100% of the conversion value to the last channel that the customer clicked through from before buying or converting. Analytics uses this model by default when attributing conversion value in non-Multi-Channel Funnels reports.

Source: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1665189?hl=en 

With AdWords you do have the ability to choose your attribution model which is why its a more complicated answer. For a list of AdWords attribution models check out the following link: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6259715#attribution_modeling_report

So in short there is a short but meaning difference between the default last non direct analytics model which can include organic, social, etc. and AdWords last click model which looks at the last AD CLICK which means it doesn't really take non CPC AdWords into account.

Let me know if this solves your problem.

- Josh  

Joshua, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Joshua,

thank you for the answer. Yes, this solves it... partially Smiley Happy

Am I right that if a visitor comes from a CPC and within 30 days (or however long I have the cookies set to last) comes back directly, he is still counted as a (returning) CPC visit? Because if so, I might have a problem. I have by far less visits then clicks, however I have more conversions. I really don't understand why.

Thank you for all your help. Kind regards,

Ondrej

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hey Ondrej, 

In your example, a person that had previously clicked your ad and returned within the allotted time will still be attributed to AdWords but probably not Analytics (unless they return direct or via remarketing - and in remarketing said remarketing campaign will get credit). 

What do you mean by "i have by far less visits then clicks, however i have more conversions"? Are you saying you have less sessions (Analytics) than clicks (AdWords) but more conversions via (Analytics)? 

In general your number of sessions (not unique) should be higher the number of clicks although i require more information. 

- Josh

Joshua, Rising Star

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes, I have less sessions in Analytics than clicks in AdWords (about 2/3), but more conversions/transactions.

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

Less sessions attribute to AdWords in your Acquisition > Source/Medium or traffic in total? Because attribute which you assume has come from AdWords may be ultimately attributed to another source/medium. 

Joshua, Rising Star

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

no. sessions in a week in Analytics > Acquisition > Source/Medium for Google / cpc is much less than clicks in AdWords for the same period. Is it clear?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

@Joshua R gave you a good advice.

One more thing: There is a fundamental difference between the results (conversions and revenue) in Google AdWords and Google Analytics even if you're importing goals from Analytics to AdWords.

AdWords reports conversions against the date/time of the click that led to the successful action, but Analytics reports conversions against the date of the successful action itself. This allows you to match the value generated by AdWords to the right advertising cost.

For example, let’s say a user makes a purchase on May 10th, but clicked on the creative on April 29th (he/she didn't come to your site from another referral between those 2 dates). You've configured e-commerce in GA and you're importing transactions from Google Analytics to Google AdWords.

In AdWords, the conversion would be attributed to April 29th, the day of the click (yes, that's the truth). Conversely, in Analytics, the conversion is attributed to May 10th, the day the conversion actually occurred.

As you can see, there's a fundamental difference between GA and AdWords and that's why the number of conversions and the Total Conversion Value (Revenue) will not match if you compare the results.

Hope this helps.
Taavi