AdWords
6.2K members online now
6.2K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Traffic from Bethesda

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We have a few UK websites and over the past few months, we have noticed an increase in activity traffic from Bethesda in the US, today for instance they count for at least 20% of our traffic.

We are used to seeing some activity from outside the UK but not to this extent and wonder if anyone can help or shine a light on why we are seeing so much from there. We have also seen a drop in activity and revenue since this all started.

I'm really at a loss as to where to go with this so any help is greatly appriciated.

Many thanks

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Traffic from Bethesda

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi loulen,

Welcome to the community.

Can I ask what industry you are in? The reason I ask is because Bethesda is also a very popular video games company as well as a place and I'm wondering whether there is any relation...

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello;

1. Verify that you target  that the UK;
  2. Set the advanced targeting option to "people in my targeted  location" , This setting   will exclude users searching about your location (targeting by intent) by are not physically within the targeted area.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Ohh ... Scott and I are posting simultaneously, lately...

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Great minds.... Smiley Tongue

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi guys 

Thanks for the swift response!

I have done some investigating and noticed the gaming community over there but can't work out why they would be stalking our sites at such a high rate.

Our websites are offer UK

press related offers and deals along with discount codes etc. most of our traffic comes from keywords. I wondered if it could be a way they connect and search through their gaming profile which would make their location as Bethesda, if that makes any sense. All this started on 1st August last year

MosheTLV, I'm sorry but don't quiet understand what you mean Smiley Sad will that remove the clicks from my view and reports? 

Many thanks 

Loulen

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

This will remove clicks coming OUTSIDE the UK. (Assuming that you target users who are physically located in the UK.)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks will give it go, but doesn't explain why so much traffic is coming from Bethesda...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Also, looking at today's stats on one of our sites we've had 300+ clicks out of the 165 came from the US with 65 coming from Maryland, Bethesda and all are new visits. Our other sites have simular activity.

Just can't understand why so much traffic is coming from there and concerned its in relation to our drop in performance...

At a loss as to where to go to find out what is going on...

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hi Loulen,

Just a thought here. Are you by any chance using "Bethesda" as a keyword or part of a long tail keyword phrase? Are you geo-targetting an area in the UK that includes Bethesda (Gwynedd)? Do you include "search intent" in the geo-targeting setup? Do the search queries that bring this traffic include "Bethesda"?

There have been other reports of problems with targeting when a location name within your target area is also used in parts of the world you have not targeted, but normally only when "search intent" is included with your geo-targeting setup.

Have you changed your geo-targeting recently?

Best of Luck1

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords