AdWords
1.4K members online now
1.4K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Tracking template does not load when clicking my ads

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello, 

I have created several adwords and display campaigns.  I have used the "Ad URL options" section to add my tracking link so I will be able to track all deposits coming from my Adwords ads.  However, Ive noticed that when I click my ads no redirection is performed.  

As a final URL I have chosen the url of my website "example.com" with UTM parameters included in the link.

As tracking template I have used a different URL (open.anotherexample.com) which redirects to my final URL "example.com." 

Tracking link anotherexample.com was supposed to open before redirecting me to example.com so I can track the desired actions.  

Any ideas as to why the tracking URl is not being used?

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Kyriakos C

Are you clicking the ad inside the Adwords interface or as a live ad? If inside Adwords, then it will just go directly to your final url, bypassing your tracking template. If live, the redirect should be seamless as you don't want visitors to see the redirect. If testing it live, the best thing to do is check the analytics associated with that redirect to see if the visit is being attributed to Adwords.

We have a third party ad server we use, and do the same you are doing. They have a report I can look at and if I see clicks, then I know that redirect is being hit. Ours is delayed by a few hours, so keep that in mind in case your's is as well.

Best of luck.

David

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello David and thank you for your reply.  I have tried clicking the ad both inside the interface as well as the live ad.  The issue with the redirect is that I need the tracking link to load so it will drop a cookie to the user.  I have checked whether the cookie drops when someone clicks my ad but it does not.  Any idea on how to solve this?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Sorry for the delay. My guess is the issue has more to do with the tracking domain rather than Adwords. All Adwords is doing is directing it to the tracking url and the url does the rest (i.e. drops the cookie and redirects to final url). As a test, build the url yourself. Meaning:

www.trackingtemplate.com?url=www.finalurl.com

Then, go to it and see if the cookie drops. If it doesn't, is the redirect happening too fast to place the cookie? Is the cookie set up properly to actually be placed?