AdWords
4K members online now
4K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Tracking template: Do I need to use a "?" or is there another sign I can use?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all, 

I've implemented a tracking protocol so I can insert the placement where the click originated from after my URL. I've used the following tracking template:

{lpurl}?placement={placement}

The system we're using to record our leads doesn't recognize a question mark though and will crop all data after. I have non flexibility with the system, so I have to work with this.

Is there any other signal I can use instead of the "?" or is there any other solution to append the placement to my URL?

Thanks!
B

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Bram D

If your website URL (the final URL part) already has a question mark, you can use ampersand '&' with tracking template. 

For instance:

If your - 

Landing page URL is abcd.net/?sort=asc

Tracking info is placement={placement}

Your tracking template should be {lpurl}&placement={placement}

However, if there is no question mark in the URL already, it's a problem. 

The question mark can be replaced with an ampersand only when you have a question mark already in the URL. There's no other way. 

Thanks
Ratan Jha
Join me on Google+   |   Twitter

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC.
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello, Bram.

You can use an anchor sign if you wish (https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6277564?hl=en) but the question is how will you get your system to read and record it.

Hope it helps.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.