5.8K members online now
5.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Tracking template - At sitelink level

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I have a tracking template set at the sitelink. However, it doesn't seem to pick up the custom parameters set at the campaign level and the adgroup level. Please find the example below.

At the sitelink level, have the tracking template as follows.

http://mystuff.com/rp?dxmloc={lpurl}&act=2&dkid=-1182231&source=736&mkt=61001&dkgeo={_dkgeo}&dkcat={...}

Here, though I have the custom parameters dkgeo set at the campaign level and dkcat and dkatt set the adgroup level, I do not see the values being populated.

Am I missing something here? Also, while clicking the 'Test' in tracking template field, I get a message, 'Landing page was found'. However, with the custom parameters not being set, I get the above message. So, is there a way where I could validate the tracking template. Thank you for your time on this regard.

Regards,

Divya C

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Divya Kumari C

Are you testing it at the Ad Level? If yes, could you tell us the following separately here:

What are your entering as Final URL for the ads:

Are you using a third party tracking system as well?

--

Thanks
Ratan Jha
Join me on Google+   |   Twitter

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Ratan,

I am looking to test at sitelink level. We use our own tracking template. Here, I am wondering why it doesn't pick up the custom parameters set in campaign and adgroup level. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Below is the snapshot of what I see when I clicked the icon next to 'Landing page was found'. Here, I don't see the values for _dkatt,_dkcat and_dkgeo. 
{lpurl}: (from sitelink)
{AdId}:{AdId}
{MatchType}:b
{_dkatt}:
{_dkcat}:
{_dkgeo}:
{keyword}:%2Beast%20%2Bhelena%20%2Brepair%20%2Bsailboats

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Ratan/Team,

Have you had a chance to look at the problem I see with testing at sitelink level.

Not sure, if my earlier response was posted. Just mentioning the same below.

Below is the snapshot of what I see when I clicked the icon next to 'Landing page was found'. Here, I don't see the values for _dkatt,_dkcat and_dkgeo. 
{lpurl}: (from sitelink)
{AdId}:{AdId}
{MatchType}:b
{_dkatt}:
{_dkcat}:
{_dkgeo}:
{keyword}:%2Beast%20%2Bhelena%20%2Brepair%20%2Bsailboats

Appreciate if you could shed some light. Please let me know if you need any other information. Thank you!

Regards,
Divya C

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @Divya Kumari C

Can you share your tracking template at the Sitelink level?

It should be something like the below - 

{lpurl}?dkgeo={_dkgeo}&dkcat={_dkcat}&dkid={_dkatt}

Thanks
Ratan Jha

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Sitelink has the below tracking template.

http://mystuff.com/rp?dxmloc=http://abc.xyz-def.us/JXcPX&act=2&dkid=1182231&source=736&mkt=61001&dkgeo={_dkgeo}&dkcat={_dkcat}&dkatt=boat%2Ddealers&mkw=s%5Fused%20boats%20for%20sale%5F{AdId}%5F%5Fb

Highlighted

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Tracking templates can’t be written without {lpurl} in it. Make sure you Final URL for the sitelink is replaced lpurl in the tracking template. 

It should work. I have tested with your setups, it works perfect. 

Thanks
Ratan Jha

Experts in the Topic
Ratan-Jha