AdWords
5.6K members online now
5.6K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Tracking not working with two destination URL

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All, 

I have a question regarding the tracking when I have two different destination URL in one account (only one per adgroup to respect Google policies).

At first, we had one tracking pixel for both URLs but the conversion on the second URL didn't seem to work. Therefore we created an additional tracking pixel (under same GDN account) and put it on the second URL.

However this one has been fired yet. The data from Google Analytics and Adwords is different and we know we had conversions made in the last few days that were not tracked by Adwords.

Has anyone encountered this issue ?

Thanks for your help, 

Camille

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Tracking not working with two destination URL

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hello, Camille.

I don't think I understood the tracking issues that you're having, but I think I should point out that the "one destination URL per ad group" refers to one top level domain and not the whole URL: https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6088505?hl=en

So you can easily land two ads in the same ad group, one to example.com/folder1 and the other at example.com/folder2 and even at subdomain1.example.com and subdomain2.example.com.

Hope it helps.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Calin,

My issue is really about the tracking not the destination URL. I have two adgroups in the same campaign, one is redirecting to www.example1.com the other to www.example2.com.

But since I changed the destination URL in the second adgroup, I can not manage to track the conversions anymore...
Should it be the same tracking pixel for both websites (example1 and example2) ?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

If you now have two URLs pointing to two different domains, example1 and example2, in the same ad group, even if one is deleted, that ad group should no longer serve ads, as far as I know.

You can track conversions on as many websites as you want, as long as Google gets to set its cookie when you click on the ad and the cookie is still present when the conversion takes place.

Later edit: a conversion is defined at account level, not at website level. If you want to have different conversions for each website, you can define two and trigger the right code on the right website. But if you don't want to tell them apart, you may as well use only one conversion code.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
My ads are showing because the ads pointing at the first URL have been removed.

That's what I did (2 different tracking codes, one on each website) but the second one is not tracking on adwords.. however I can see the conversions in google analytics.

Thank you for your help

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
You'll have to test, step by step, Camille, by clicking your ad and converting. On the conversion page, you'll have to see if the conversion code fires correctly.