AdWords
4.6K members online now
4.6K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Tracking multiples domains and creating views to see each domain?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have like 20 websites that i would like to monitor on analytics. To make it easier to analyse i created a single account meaning i put the same tracking code with GTM on every websites. Works like a charm.

But know i want to create views for each domain. In order to do that i created a view with a filter. The filter is the following:

Only include when the trafic is going toward an Host domain name equal to (.)*(\.)?mydomain\.com(\/)?(.)* but its not working as i dont see anything in the view i just created with this filter.

Where did i make the mistake ? 

Thanks you very much for the time you take to answer,

Regards,

Boris.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author rieunier b
September 2015

Re: Tracking multiples domains and creating views to see each domain?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Boris

Great question. Fortunately, you've made it a lot more difficult than it needs to be Smiley Happy

The include filters, as long as you're using the predefined ones, don't actually need to use regular expressions. It's a mistake I've made a thousand times myself. Plain text host name will do it and you can use the "validate filter" button below it to show/check that it's working.

adwords-community-ga-question.png

A word of warning though. The approach that you are taking is going to cause you UNTOLD HEARTACHE over the coming months/years. While it may be convenient for you to separate your sites using filters now, when you grow, you WILL regret it (unless I'm missing something here and you really need a roll up view with all stats in one view for all sites and even in this situation, filters is not the way to go). 

I would highly recommend spending a little extra time and separating your sites using different property IDs as opposed to using the same property and filters. As your sites grow and you need to add and remove features (think WMT, AdWords, enhanced commerce, certain remarketing smart lists, user access), this wont be possible with your current setup. I've seen it hundreds of times and people always regret it. You are seriously limiting your individual site's measurement possibilities by using the same property. As you have GTM set up ANYWAY, you really should consider using separate property IDs. Unless you have a super specific reason for not doing it this way (which I'd actually be really interested in hearing your use case for), I'd go with properties instead of filters. 

Let me know if you'd like to talk through your specific setup and I can offer some more tailored advice. 

Hope that's been somewhat useful.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author rieunier b
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Boris

Great question. Fortunately, you've made it a lot more difficult than it needs to be Smiley Happy

The include filters, as long as you're using the predefined ones, don't actually need to use regular expressions. It's a mistake I've made a thousand times myself. Plain text host name will do it and you can use the "validate filter" button below it to show/check that it's working.

adwords-community-ga-question.png

A word of warning though. The approach that you are taking is going to cause you UNTOLD HEARTACHE over the coming months/years. While it may be convenient for you to separate your sites using filters now, when you grow, you WILL regret it (unless I'm missing something here and you really need a roll up view with all stats in one view for all sites and even in this situation, filters is not the way to go). 

I would highly recommend spending a little extra time and separating your sites using different property IDs as opposed to using the same property and filters. As your sites grow and you need to add and remove features (think WMT, AdWords, enhanced commerce, certain remarketing smart lists, user access), this wont be possible with your current setup. I've seen it hundreds of times and people always regret it. You are seriously limiting your individual site's measurement possibilities by using the same property. As you have GTM set up ANYWAY, you really should consider using separate property IDs. Unless you have a super specific reason for not doing it this way (which I'd actually be really interested in hearing your use case for), I'd go with properties instead of filters. 

Let me know if you'd like to talk through your specific setup and I can offer some more tailored advice. 

Hope that's been somewhat useful.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you dave. The thing is all my website have the same purpose and the same mecanism...

I would be ok with the fact of having multiple analytics but then how can i have a view that sums up everything ?

I tried what you told me, **bleep** i indeed spent a lot of time for nothing. It is working fine now Smiley Wink

Thanks a lot !

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Rieunier
Glad to hear it worked out for you. You did the right thing.

If you want a property that has a "roll up" with the stats (and you probably should) it's very easy too. All you need is another tracking code Smiley Happy

If you're using GTM, just created a new "all sites" property in GA and add the tag to GTM. There's no reason you can't have more than one tracking code on your site.

So each site will have its own tracking code AND a tracking code for the "all sites together" property.

Just be careful. Sometimes multiple tracking codes can cause conflicts, especially with advanced setups like with enhanced commerce. Make sure you test.

Finally, install the Google Tag Assistant chrome plugin. It's free from Google and it's incredibly valuable in diagnosing and testing your tags.

Have a great weekend!