AdWords
5K members online now
5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Tracking multiple conversions with single thank you page/ submission form

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello all,

I'm currently taking over the Google Analytics and AdWords functionality that was previously managed by an employee who left the business. I'm relatively new to the company and GA/AdWords and no one else knows about GA/AdWords at our company (it's pretty small), so it's up to me (and the helpful community here!) to figure it out.

My company has several different conversions (sign up for newsletter, request a quote, request a demo, several request to download whitepapers, etc.) that all link to one basic thank you page template. 

In Google Analytics, I have been able to track the conversion source by using the Reverse Goal Path, since all goal completions are lead to the one thank you page URL. So I can see that a person submitted a Request a Quote form if their Previous Step contained "request a quote" in the URL.

However, from what I've seen exploring AdWords and trying to figure out how to track conversions, it looks like there is not a way to differentiate the source of the conversion without having separate thank you pages.

Is this true? Is there any way for me to be able to track these many conversions separately and use the same thank you page? I would like to know before telling our developer that he needs to create separate thank you pages.

I hope I explained this clearly enough. Any help is greatly appreciated! 

Thanks!

-Holly

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Tracking multiple conversions with single thank you page/ submission form

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Holly C welcome to the community, I hope I can help!

It depends what you mean by the "source".  Even with a single conversion tracking code, AdWords will show the conversion against the relevant Campaign/Ad/Keyword, so for example if you had two Campaigns, A & B, and the conversion was driven by Campaign A, AdWords would show a conversion against Campaign A, even though there's only one snippet of code.

If you're talking about tracking in terms of the path to conversion, i.e. was this a sign up or a demo request, then you should still be able to track AdWords visits in GA, as you're doing now for other traffic.  It's maybe a good idea to set up a view in GA that's filtered only for paid traffic, then you'd be able to use GA exactly the way you are now, but know that all the results apply only to AdWords.

Does this help?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Re: Tracking multiple conversions with single thank you page/ submission form

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jon!

Thank you so much for the reply. I see what you're saying, and I'll keep this in mind when setting up future campaigns.

Thanks again!
-Holly

Tracking multiple conversions with single thank you page/ submission form

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a similar question as Holly C. I am currently working on a campaign for a ecommerce client. What would you recommend the best way to track Adwords conversions for separate products with the same thank you page? I was thinking to use reverse goal path but I don't believe it will give me enough info to help me differentiate from the conversions based on the separate Adwords campaigns versus an organic search conversion. Any insight on the best approach to track separate Adwords campaigns for different products that all share the same thank you page?