AdWords
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Tracking login conversions of two seperate PPC campaigns

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,
I have two banner PPC campaigns targeted for two geographic regions. Each banner forwards users to my home page. (www.example.com). When user decides to create an account he/she can submit the subscription form at www.example.com/register page. I am maintaining a history cookie so I have the info for how user initially found my home page. (including utm parameters)

I have also implemented a conversion submission upon new user subscription and i want to track this conversion separately for each campaign.

Is it possible to do this by including campaign name in utm_campaign url parameter when I create the URL to submit ?
    Example javascript code:  
                       var url = www.example.com/register?utm_campaign=region1;
                       goog_report_conversion(url);

If not, please advice on how to accomplish this considering I am new to conversion tracking. 
Thanks in advance.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Chathura G
November 2016

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Chatura G,

If you are using GA, this all works better with auto-taggging enabled. I highly recommend this unless your web site will not accept the gclid parameter. Using UTM_ parameters will not provide as much data for you. With auto-tagging enabled, Google can figure out and report which campaign/ad/keyword led to the conversion.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Chathura,

Good question.

If you have Google's conversion tracking installed, Google will know which campaign drove each conversion and will attribute the appropriate number of conversions to the campaigns in AdWords. You'll be able to see number of conversions, cost per conversion, conversion rate, etc. per campaign inside the AdWords interface.

I hope that helps!

John

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Chathura G
November 2016

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Chatura G,

If you are using GA, this all works better with auto-taggging enabled. I highly recommend this unless your web site will not accept the gclid parameter. Using UTM_ parameters will not provide as much data for you. With auto-tagging enabled, Google can figure out and report which campaign/ad/keyword led to the conversion.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Will Check it. Thank you John!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you very much Pete.I Will enable it and check. If you can clarify on following two points I would be grateful.
     1. My PPC ads are pointed to my home page. (www.examle.com) and user registration is on a different page (www.example.com/register) will the tracking still work ?

2. What will happen if conversion method call happen without navigating through an ad. Say someone navigated to my site by directly typing the site URL and decided to register for an account. Consider the scenario  where goog_report_conversion() method is called anyway without checking if the user came through an ad, how will this conversion will be recorded since google will not be able to tag it to a campaign?