AdWords
3.9K members online now
3.9K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Tracking keywords for different conversions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

Im running a campaign in Adwords and i want to track 3 types of conversion (at different steps):

1) incomplete registration
2) full registration
3) subscription

Is it possible to know how many conversions had each of them, and whats more (and more important for me) what keyword led to each of these conversions? 

Im interested only in adwords, pls help me.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Tracking keywords for different conversions

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hey Jakub, how are things?

A simple answer to your question is this: Yes, it's possible. You just need to add one Adwords Conversion Tracking Code to each step. This page might help: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6095821

BUT, one important thing to notice: Adwords is a tool to drive results to in my opinion, one final objective, which tends to be your most important step. In your case, it seems to be the Subscription on step 3. Then, on Adwords, you would only track step 3 as your most important goal.

All other steps that you're trying to track you should Google Analytics, and not Adwords. As the name says, steps 1 and 2 are just STEPS, they're more related to user behavior and how they're using your website. Use Google Analytics to track these.

Tracking all of these steps inside Adwords will not be of much help. Don't worry, you can link your Adwords account with your Analytics account. Inside Analytics, you can set goals for each step you wish, and having the accounts link will still provide each keyword drove more users to each step.

This is how you link accounts: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1704341?hl=en

This is how you create goals in Analytics: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1032415?hl=en

Hope this helps.

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I think what he is saying is he wants to know what share of the traffic that came to his service through an adwords referral actually converted so he can gauge how relevant and interested in what the was offering the traffic google sent him was vs his regular traffic.

I guess analytics would need ecommerce tracking enabled to see the data from adwords or at least if what I'm guessing is the case than it would. 

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hey Brian,

I'm assuming that since his steps reffer to Registration and not sale, he would not need E-commerce Tracking installation.

Just by linking the accounts and setting the proper goals for each step on Analytics will provide him the ability to create very deep custom reports, or add Secondary Dimension accordinly. It's the easy way to do in my opinion.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I have created the goals and imported them to adwords. Is it possible there to see which keywords gave the conversion (like in analytics) ?

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
Hey Jakub,

Yes, it is.

Adwords should have probably added some columns for you related to "Conversions". You can then go the Keywords tab to see which one led conversions.

You can also play with Conversion information inside the button "Details" if you want to split view for different conversion type.

Also, don't forget to check the "Conversion Funnel" report inside "Conversions" on the top menu. There you can find the most rich report about conversions for your campaign.

Important thing: Analytics takes 48h to pass conversion information to Adwords, meaning that for conversion, "Actual Day" and "Yesterday" on the calendar will ALWAYS have ZERO conversions, but after that, you'll see those numbers.

Hope this helps.