AdWords
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Tracking keywords for DSAs in Google Analytics?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi we get some strange long strings of text instead of keywords in our Google Analytics reports (e.g. 3nibecekli8z12az). Looking in Traffic Sources > Sources > Search > Paid

Can we get actual keyword data from these ads? That is, the query the visitor used to see the ad and click through?

Thanks Smiley Happy

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Tracking keywords for DSAs?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello,

In AdWords you can run a search term report

Open up an ad group. Then click the keywords detail button at the top of the grid. Then select "all" under SEARCH TERMS.  This will show the exact query the user typed in.

Re: Tracking keywords for DSAs in Google Analytics?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Should have made the question, "Tracking keywords for DSAs in Google Analytics?" - titled edited

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi WhoSoLovesUs and welcome to the Community.

Have you looked under Traffic Sources > Advertising > AdWords > Matched Search Queries ?

Are you saying these strings are appearing as the Keywords from your paid advertising?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, yes the strings are appearing as keywords under Traffic Sources > Sources > Search > Paid

Not seeing them under Traffic Sources > Advertising > AdWords > Matched Search Queries though, these all look ok. Interesting, wonder what's going on here

Thanks

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hard to say!  I presume you're using auto-tagging?  I did wonder if they might be gclid parameters but the example you've given doesn't look long enough (and I still couldn't explain why it's appearing as a keyword).

I take it you're not using value track or any other form of manual tagging that might be throwing some random data at Analytics?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Was using value track {unescapedlpurl} only.

Just tried changing it to {unescapedlpurl}?keyword={keyword} a few days ago to see if this would start giving us real keyword information but still seem to be getting the same funky keywords

I'm not 100% sure this is the right implementation of the keyword tag parameter with the unescapedlpurl tag, and not sure how to test it either – it seems right after reviewing the documentation

Thanks Smiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hello.

Dynamic Search Ads do not use keywords for targeting. They use "targets" on your website.

You can see the search queries if you go to your DSA campaign, then click on Auto Targets, then select View: Dynamic Ad Targets and then See Search Terms - All.

Just as you don't have keywords in Product listing ads, but see product targets instead of keywords, you see auto targets as keywords for Dynamic Search Ads. They're not keywords per se, but they are used to target your ads.

If you want to see them in Analytics and your accounts are linked and auto-tagging enabled, you can go to Matched Search Queries in your Traffic Sources - Advertising section and select "Campaign" as the secondary dimension, and then filter by the name of your Dynamic Search Ads campaign.

If you've enabled auto targets in several campaigns, filtering will be more difficult, but maybe you can use the landing page as the secondary dimension and filter by that (I have src=dsa as a parameter in my DSA campaigns, for instance).

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.