AdWords
5.8K members online now
5.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Tracking for Affiliates

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Situation:

1. You have affiliate programs with several websites, both big and small ones (for a our simplified example only Zalando and Amazon)
  2. You acquire traffic especially via SEM campaigns (for a our simplified example only via AdWords)

Problem:

To optimize your campaigns, for each keyword you want a breakdown of clicks and cost and the tracking of conversions.

How could you get this output?

Example:

Keyword: Buy shoes

Total values

• Clicks (from Google to the Affiliate website)=100
  • Cost (on Google)= 50€

Breakdown of the clicks –cost

• Clicks (from Google to the Affiliate website by users redirected to Zalando)= 30
  • Cost (from Google to the Affiliate website by users redirected to Zalando)= 15€
  • Clicks (from Google to the Affiliate website by users redirected to Amazon)= 50
  • Cost (from Google to the Affiliate website by users redirected to Zalando)= 25€
  • Click (from Google to the Affiliate website by users not choosing any product/ not redirected to Zalando/Amazon)=20
  • Cost (from Google to the Affiliate website by users not choosing any product/ not redirected to Zalando/Amazon)=10€

Tracking of conversions:

• Conversions (from users redirected to Zalando)= 10
  • Conversions (from users redirected to Amazon)= 5

Best,

Eugene

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Tracking for Affiliates

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Eugene,
That's up to you to track on your end.
If the purpose of your website is to send visitors to another website (for example Amazon) you're violating the bridge page policy and it's unlikely your ads will stay live for very much longer.

If you cannot put code on third party destinations, you'll have to create your own way to track conversions using whatever tools the affiliate merchants provide.

I'll warn you though, if you're not providing SIGNIFICANT added value to the user and if you can't justify sending paid search traffic to your landing pages without your affiliate links, it's only a matter of time before a human reviews your website. There's a reason there's so few Amazon affiliates in AdWords search results.

Not saying that you are violating any policies, just making sure that you're aware Smiley Happy
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Eugene B
September 2015

Re: Tracking for Affiliates

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Dear Dave,

Thanks a lot for your answer and your professional advice!

I am completely aware of the bridge page policy.
My website, which will be live in 1-2 months, will not be based on Affiliates programs only. I will have a network of small businesses creating products demanded by clients.
Moreover, I am investing heavily in content (since the vertical I am in is also the vertical I specialized in during my Master).

What do you exactly mean by "If you cannot put code on third party destinations, you'll have to create your own way to track conversions using whatever tools the affiliate merchants provide."?
I cannot put code on third party destinations (my website will be a too small partner for Zalando, Amazon and other websites).
Do you have suggestions about a standard way to create "unique identifiers" to merge AdWords data and the data in the Affiliate networks?
I am reading about sub-ids, but I have not found a simple and clear explanation yet.

I am looking for a standard and simple solution since I will manage my websites with very few people in the beginning.

Thanks again,
Eugene