AdWords
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Tracking conversions to correct source with third party shopping cart

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Here is the issue I am having.  Running an ecommerce site and using PayPal as a payment option.  All sales data and revenue are reporting correctly to GA, but are not correctly assigned to the source (PayPal is my #2 source) when a customer uses PayPal to checkout.  I can edit the script to allow for cross domain tracking.  

Do I need to move the conversions tracking code to the checkout page, which is the step prior to completing the sale with a CC or leaving to the paypal site to checkout?  Currently the conversion pixel only lives on the Thank You Page.

Reason is to properly assign sales and revenue to the source(paid, social, email) of the lead to determine ROAS.

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Luis R
September 2015

Re: Tracking conversions to correct source with third party shopping c

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Luis,
Leave your conversion tracking code where it is on the thank you page. After all, that IS the conversion.

I assume this question is analytics related rather than AdWords related so...

By default, a referral automatically triggers a new session. When you exclude a referral source, traffic that arrives to your site from the excluded domain doesn’t trigger a new session. If you want traffic arriving from a specific site to trigger a new session, don't include that domain in this table.

Because each referral triggers a new session, excluding referrals (or not excluding referrals) affects how sessions are calculated in your account. The same interaction can be counted as either one or two sessions, based on how you treat referrals. For example, a visitor on my-site.com goes to your-site.com, and then returns to my-site.com. If you do not exclude your-site.com as a referring domain, two sessions are counted, one for each arrival at my-site.com. If, however, you exclude referrals from your-site.com, the second arrival to my-site.com does not trigger a new session, and only one session is counted.

You need to be using Universal Analytics and you need to EXCLUDE PayPal as a referrer. THAT IT! Smiley Happy

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2795830?hl=en

Hope that helps.

EDIT*** Just to be clear, you still need your cross domain tracking installed but you can use the autolinker plugin which is laid out here: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1034342?hl=en

You can get additional help on the matter if you're using ga.js (classic) on the GA forum here: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/analytics/VmMYrDJqaVM

Re: Tracking conversions to correct source with third party shopping c

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, we have a third party embed that has our full checkout process basically like an iframe. The only option we have is to insert code that shows up on all three pages of the checkout funnel. What would the process be to get the conversion tracked correctly? The URL does change on each part of the funnel so I have created a goal in Analytics that is correctly tracking conversions.

Note: The widget also uses our  domain as the funnel I think. That's because I can add our UA code within the widget (that's how I currently have it). OR I also have the option to do a custom script where I can add Tag Manager code to load the analytics code. 

Currently, the main problem I am having is each time a user starts checkout it counts it as a "direct" source so I cant track where these conversions are coming from. I just added my website and the widgets website URL to exclude as referral traffic.

If I add AdWords conversion tracking code, it will show up on all checkout pages, not just the final page.

The page is www.grouphiit.com/pages/join-group-hiit

Thanks!

Marlena