AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Tracking conversions on a per-keyword basis?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello All,
             I am relatively new to Google Adwords and hence have a few questions. They are as follows:

a. Right now, in the Google Analytics visitor flow, it is possible to identify "conversions" at an adwords campaign level. I have keywords associated with each campaign. Is it possible to see "conversions" on a per keyword (associated with adwords campaigns) basis?

b. I use Google URL builder to track adwords campaign data. Unfortunately, the URL builder does not let me add multiple keywords to a single link URL that can be tracked separately in analytics. What is the best way around this? Ideas?

Responses to my questions will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Pranav

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Tracking conversions on a per-keyword basis?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Pranav,

You can get detailed reporting under Google Analytics for your Adwords campaigns, but that's possible if you have linked Google Adwords to your Google Analytics and on top auto tagging is enabled.

But in case you are tracking the Adwords parameters via Google URL builder, you will get limited information for those Adwords campaigns inside Google Analytics.

I think the alternate solution would be to use Value Track parameters where you can associate various parameters and get detailed reporting inside Google Analytics.

Hope that helps!

Pankaj

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Karl (Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆)
September 2015

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Pranavc

If you log into analytics and goes to "Advertising" and choose "AdWords" you can see your conversions for either campaigns or keywords. If you choose "Campaigns" you will get a list of the campaigns you are running in AdWords which have received clicks/visits in the specified date-range. If you then click on a given campagin you will then see the ad groups which are within this campaign. Here you can switch to seeing keywords for the whole campaign or choose a given ad group and see the specific keywords for this ad group.

But as Pankaj said, you need to have AdWords and Analytics linked with Auto tagging enabled. Is E-commerce enabled as well?

I don't understand why you are using the URL builder to track AdWords data, if linked you have all data in the AdWords tab of Analytics?

/Jonas

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Pankaj,
Thanks so much for the prompt response. I don't recall if I explicitly linked my analytics account with adwords. My Google analytics shows up as a tab within adwords. Does that mean it is linked? I had to turn of auto-tagging since when it was enabled, I simply could not see my campaign-level data. Under campaigns it would always show "not set" as opposed to a campaign name - which became very inconvenient. I guess I need to look into Value Track Parameters. Thank you once again for this. This is super-helpful!

Regards,

Pranav

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jonas,
Thanks so much for pointing me to the "keywords within campaigns" section. I totally missed that. This is very helpful. As far as disabling auto-tagging, I had to do it because my campaigns were showing up as "not set" as opposed to their names. Even under keywords (within campaigns), I am able to capture a list of keywords but most of the traffic is from a "not set" keyword. Is there any way around this? Thanks in advance!

Pranav

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Pranavc

Have you enabled cost data in analytics?

If Adwords cost data is not applied and auto-tagging is enabled, then Adwords cost data will not appear and Adwords dimensions (i.e. campaign name, ad group, keyword) will appear as “(not set)” in Google Analytics campaigns report.

/Jonas

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jonas,

I don't remember activating cost data. Is this something that has to be done within analytics or within adwords? Any input on this would be great. Thanks once again for all your help.

Regards,

Pranav

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I figure it out. I am going to try running a new campaign today and will let you know how that works out!

Regards,

Pranav

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am curious as to how I can see how keywords perform in different countries via my campaings. Is there an easy way to do this?

Thanks in advance!

Pranav

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi again
There are a couple of options -

You could go to "Traffic Sources" -> "Sources" -> "Search" & "Paid". You will then get a list of keywords from your AdWords account. Find the "Secondary dimensions" tab, choose "Visitors" and select Country/Territory. You now have that for each keyword.

Otherwise you can do as before and go to "Advertising" -> "AdWords" and go to the keywords for a given campaign.
Thereafter you need to find "Advanced segments" (In top of page) and select "+New Custom Segment".
Give it a name so you can easily identify it again and in the first box search for "Country/Territory" and after Containing
you will need to specify which country you will see the data from.

This option is usefull if its the same countries each time that are relevant to you. 

Hope this helps

/Jonas