AdWords
5.3K members online now
5.3K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Tracking clicks on links as conversions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I've looked at this guide and followed the instructions. I want to track when people click on my "mailto:blah@company.com" link rather than a link to another website. Therefore, would someone be able to tell me:

1) If this is the correct implementation (I have added the goog_report_conversion function on the respective page):

<a href="mailto:info@company.com?Subject=Website%20enquiry" onclick ="goog_report_conversion"('mailto:info@company.com?Subject=Website%20enquiry')" >info@company.com</a>

2) If my "Conversion actions" menu would have told me I had implemented this correctly? Bear in mind I have very low traffic volumes so never sure if "No recent conversions" means all my code was implemented correctly.

Thanks in advance.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
November 2015

Re: Tracking clicks on links as conversions

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Carren L firstly, if you have low conversion rates it is quite possible you simply haven't had a conversion yet.  When did you finish implementing the code?

Secondly, and you probably don't want to hear this, you'd probably find it a lot easier in the long run to use Google Tag Manager rather than bespoke coding your site.  Tag Manager allows you to create conversions based upon actions on pages and is a lot easier to get right and more flexible.  For example, if you want to track all clicks to your email address, a single rule can do that for all pages on your site without the need to edit any code.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
November 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Carren L firstly, if you have low conversion rates it is quite possible you simply haven't had a conversion yet.  When did you finish implementing the code?

Secondly, and you probably don't want to hear this, you'd probably find it a lot easier in the long run to use Google Tag Manager rather than bespoke coding your site.  Tag Manager allows you to create conversions based upon actions on pages and is a lot easier to get right and more flexible.  For example, if you want to track all clicks to your email address, a single rule can do that for all pages on your site without the need to edit any code.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the reply Jon. I implemented last week and only wanted AdWords conversion tracking to fire on my Contacts page. I hadn't come across Google Tag Manager before but it looks really useful. I just need to make sure it plays nice with Wordpress. It looks like I can just add the Google Tag Manager snippet once and manage my tags from the admin panel - neat.