AdWords
3.7K members online now
3.7K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Tracking a phone number on website

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I know that you can track a conversion by phone on Mobile Ads, but is there a way that you can track a number on a website. I have seen some website that have a onclick link to display the phone number say 011403.........  but brings up a popup telephone number which you can track everytime someone clicks to get the number.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Tracking a phone number on website

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

A click function to reveal a phone number can track the clicks - but not the calls - and in my experience, this kind of technique has reduced the number of calls received.

Why make the visitor take yet another step to get in touch - it just doesn't make sense....

Depending upon where you are (I know of services in the US, UK and Australia) there are services that will track the phone numbers and push that information back into Analytics. These services can be quite cheap and are worth the investment if a significant proportion of your traffic contacts you via the telephone.

If you are in a country (like me - here in Spain) where this service isn't available then you might rely upon less integrated options, such as having a dedicated phone number on your website - with a red bat phone in your office for those calls!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the reply Steve, I realise it is a bit long winded but I'm doing it for a client and need somehow to record the conversions to telephone and i'm not sure if the telkom services in South Africa offer a solution as you mentioned

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

I'm not sure either - but take a look at - for example - ResponseTap.com - I've used these and a couple of others. I tend to use RT because they cover the UK and the US - and because - well, they are nice people!

A quick Google search found these people.... http://calltrackingmetrics.com/call-tracking/ZA-south-africa - interesting - they claim to have the service for Spain too!    Yippee!  I'm calling them right now.....