AdWords
3.8K members online now
3.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Tracking Vanity URL

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Everyone,

A client of mine would like to know whether we can track the number of users who typed in a vanity URL into their browser, and were redirected to the website.

It doesn't appear as if Google Analytics can do this as the redirect has already occured by the time the tracking begins?

How can we make this work?

Thank you.

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Tracking Vanity URL

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Direct traffic is the metric you're looking for.  Direct traffic is direct type ins (into the URL bar) or people who have arrived via a bookmark.

Hope this helps.

Ryan.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Oh, just to add. You may also want to look in the keyword report and look at the number of visits and performance of those visits for people arriving on your site via your website/brand name.

Ryan.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Ptarmigan_Media,

I'm not sure that is a correct answer, at least not if I am reading you question correctly.

It seems to me your situation is the vanity URL is not the same as the actual URL where the user ends up. As you say, "typed in a vanity URL and were redirected to the website."

If that is correct, Analytics won't be able to track that. Perhaps you could explain a bit more. If there is a web site at the vanity URL that redirects traffic to the website, you should be able to see all that in the vanity URL's web logs.

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
i am trying to get a better understanding of what can and cannot be tracked as it relates to vanity url"s.
scenario. Create a vanity URL which goes directly to the website. is it possible to track how many visitors use the vanity url to get to the website? if so can these be identified by country?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi viking46,

It's always best to start a new thread when you ask a question, even thought this thread is related to your question.

Please refer to Ryan's answer above.

Best of Luck!

Pete

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
I have had the same situation as you. We created a 301 redirect containing http://www.domain.com/?ref=domainname

using ?ref=domainname we are able to determine how many visitors were direct to one of my sites via Vanity URL redirect.

A second way of doing it is also ?utm_source=domainname

This should tell analytics under your Source dimension how many visitors your had from said domain, but keep in mind, "sources" are usual interpreted as click activy that led to your site, which in this case you might add utm_medium=redirect so you can export your report as
if medium=redirect then display Source {Vanity URL}

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So whats the answer? can GA track vanity url (created by go.gl, bitly or even by your own CMS)?  - as in how many clicks to the website via the vanity URL..

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Hi Joshua N,

It's best to start a new thread with a new question. Vanity URL's are different from shortened URL's like you gte from go.gl or bitly. Google Analytics can only function when the user hits the page and the script runs. In the case of a shortened URL, I'm really not sure, but it seems the visit would come with a referrer from the URL shortening service.

If you have a vanity URL on your own website with a 301 Redirect, the user will never hit the page and the GA script will never run. The redirect doesn't get recorded anywhere and the page itself will carry the referrer from the original link, not the vanity URL.

Maxroizer, above, has a good suggestion for a workaround.

Best of Luck!

Pete

Community Manager
# 10
Community Manager
This early 2013 thread has been closed to new replies.

If anyone has a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread with a descriptive subject line, and post a clear, specific and detailed question or comment.

This will help other forum members to both see and understand your question fully, and answer it in a useful and effective way.

Thanks!