AdWords
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Tracking Templates, Custom URL's & ValueTrack Parameters

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am a bit at a loss to understand tracking templates. I set up the following template:

{lpurl}/?device={device}  whereas {lpurl} is my final url. 

When I run the test all looks great, I get this:

Tracking template
{lpurl}/?device={device} (from ad)

Final URL

Attribute used
{lpurl}: http://www.xyz.com/ (from ad)
{device}:c

Click URL

But when I click the ad to go to my website it only takes me to http//www.xyz.com  with NO ?device=c

What am I missing?

Tracking Templates, Custom URL's & ValueTrack Parameters

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I don't know if you intended to have two trailing slashes at the end of the final url, but there are two. It may not be affecting this issue, but you may want to clean it up if that's the way it is in your account.

If that's the way you have it set up it should be working. Is the final url possibly being redirected? Often times redirects will strip the parameters.

Re: Tracking Templates, Custom URL's & ValueTrack Parameters

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Screenshot.jpg

Hello David, and thanks for your help on this. Here is a screen shot for reference.

To elaborate a bit more on my situation I HAVE BEEN using the variable ?aw=y at the end of ALL of my FINAL URLS for a couple of years. I have done so such that I want to know when a visitor arrives from a paid click. This methodology was working great until I found out BING was taking my final urls, with the ?aw=y and adding that to organic search results! 

In my web.config I have this code:

<rule name="Add trailing slash" stopProcessing="true">
<match url="(.*[^/])$" />
<conditions>
<add input="{REQUEST_FILENAME}" matchType="IsFile" negate="true" />
<add input="{REQUEST_FILENAME}" matchType="IsDirectory" negate="true" />
</conditions>
<action type="Redirect" redirectType="Permanent" url="{R:1}/" />
</rule>

This has conditions that put a trailing slash for files or directories, but on the default home page it does not add a slash. 

So where I am at is that for whatever reason the test shows that all should be good.

I am curious about something though. When I am in the Adwords account and click on an ad to preview / test, should it take me to the URL with the tracking parameter or would that only be appended from an actual paid click???

Thanks, 

Tom

Tracking Templates, Custom URL's &amp; ValueTrack Parameters

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

From your last question, I assume you mean clicking on your ad where your site pops up in a new tab? If so, no, it is supposed to only go to the final url, no parameters.

I'm not really sure where the problem lies. It seems to me it should be working. I tested adding a fake parameter (test=test) and it doesn't get stripped. Without being inside the account to see what else may be wrong, I would suggest reaching out to chat support and see if they can pinpoint the problem, if not they should be able to escalate it.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Tracking Templates, Custom URL's &amp; ValueTrack Parameters

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you David. Tom