AdWords
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Tracking Parameter For Chats

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Please help me in getting tracking parameters or template.

We already had UTM tagging in place, so what 'new' tracking parameters have to offer?

Coming to my issue. I have Adwords and Analytics connected. But I am unable to track chat conversions as the site shows up in organic rankings as well as PPC ads.

So, how can I?

1- Track chats conversions for Adwords (so that they dont come up as PPC+SEO chats in total, as I just want to track PPC chats.

2- If the abovementioned thing is doable, how can the landing page URL should be have with parameters? I would like to do this for all campaigns.

Please help!

Thanks

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ayush S
September 2016

Re: Tracking Parameter For Chats

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star
Hi Ayush,

I assume you're saying that you want to see within your BoldChat dashboard how many chats are coming from your PPC campaigns. That's an important metric, and definitely worth tracking.

I gave you instructions in my previous answer for adding utm parameters to your urls. Getting that information from your urls into your BoldChat dashboard is beyond the scope of what I can address, as it's completely dependent on what capabilities BoldChat offers. You'll need to ask BoldChat if that's something they can do for you.

Best,

John

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Ayush,

Can you elaborate more on what you mean by chat conversions? That would help in providing specific resolution if possible.

Pankaj

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Hi Ayush,

The answer depends very much on which chat service you use. Who do you use?

Usually the easiest way to track PPC chats as conversions in AdWords is to use Google Analytics event tracking to trigger Goals and then import those Goals into AdWords.

Many chat services have pre-built integrations with Google Analytics. Even if your chat service doesn't have a pre-built integration, there's a good chance that there is a way to use event tracking to accomplish what you want to do.

John

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Pankaj,
Yes! Actually this is the tool called BoldChat.. Problem lies is that this tool doesnt support Adwords and in Analytics , despite setting up events, chat conversions dont show up.

So, heard about tracking parameters. Can it solve the issue of tracking chats which come after PPC ad clicks?

Thanks,

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

Yes. This is BoldChat and events have been setup in GA yet it doesnt show up how many chats are being converted.
So can we track chats using parameter tracking?

Thanks,

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
Hi Ayush,

That makes sense.

Yes, you can definitely add parameters to your URLs. You can do this at the ad, ad group, campaign, or account level. See this article for instructions: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375447

Here is an example of a URL with parameters which you could place in the "Tracking template" field in your ad, ad group, or campaign. It passes through source, medium, campaign, and keyword parameters.

{lpurl}?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=YOURCAMPAIGNNAME&utm_keyword={keyword}

Does that answer your question?

John

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi John,

But what if I want to track live chats? I just wana track chats from PPC campaigns.

Thanks,
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ayush S
September 2016

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star
Hi Ayush,

I assume you're saying that you want to see within your BoldChat dashboard how many chats are coming from your PPC campaigns. That's an important metric, and definitely worth tracking.

I gave you instructions in my previous answer for adding utm parameters to your urls. Getting that information from your urls into your BoldChat dashboard is beyond the scope of what I can address, as it's completely dependent on what capabilities BoldChat offers. You'll need to ask BoldChat if that's something they can do for you.

Best,

John