AdWords
5.2K members online now
5.2K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Tracking Landing Page Phone Call Conversions?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Tracking conversions via phone call can be challenging. The Adwords phone ads only register a conversion if someone clicks on the phone number from their mobile phone. In many cases a landing page on a website has a lead/contact forum AND a phone number displayed. The user calling that number would not be registered as a conversion unless you setup multiple virtual forwarding phone numbers for prominent keywords, ad groups and/or campaigns. This can be costly for smaller advertisers.

Has anyone done or know of any empirical data on the average percentage of leads generated via phone call versus online form on a landing page. I know it can vary from business type to business type. More specifically I'm interested in the professional business services industry such as Engineering, Surveying, Commercial Real Estate, Accounting, etc.

So for example if you conversion rate for online form submission on a landing page is 3%, what would be a ballpark estimate for the actual conversion rate including phone calls? 25% more? 50% more? Double. "Ballpark" is the keyword here.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
January 2017

Commercial Services Online Form Versus Phone Call Conversion?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Jeff,

So long as you only have one phone number displayed on your landing page, you can use Google's free call forwarding to measure calls, and you can add a conversion for form submissions. I add conversion tracking many times every day and it is normal to track both.

Google knows which keywords / ads lead to calls from your website. You don't need multiple phone numbers or landing pages.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
January 2017

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Jeff,

So long as you only have one phone number displayed on your landing page, you can use Google's free call forwarding to measure calls, and you can add a conversion for form submissions. I add conversion tracking many times every day and it is normal to track both.

Google knows which keywords / ads lead to calls from your website. You don't need multiple phone numbers or landing pages.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Maybe you misunderstood my question.  It's impossible for google to tie phone calls to keywords/ad groups/campaigns unless the phone call is made by clicking on the number in a mobile ad.  I'm talking about phone numbers displayed on landing pages, not within ads.  If the person reaches the landing page on a desktop computer browser, and then they pick up their phone and manually dial a number, there is no way for Google to associate that phone call with a specific keyword, ad group, or campaign because Google has no idea which keyword they came in on when they saw the phone number displayed on the landing page and then manually dialed the number.  You would need multiple phone numbers exclusive to each keyword or ad group or campaign.

As a result, unless you have multiple numbers exclusive to the keywords, your conversion rate will be below the actual conversion rate because those Adwords numbers do not include phone calls dialed manually as opposed to clicking on the call button in a mobile app.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Jeff,

You have been misinformed. Google does match keywords and ads to manually dialled calls. Rather than trying to work out how Google manages this, I suggest trying it. 

See here:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6100664

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I've managed Adwords accounts for 8 years.  I know how all the features work.  You need to think more about the logic.  Let me take it step by step for you.

- I search for "pink widget" on my computer and click on an Adwords ad for pink widgets for a company that is advertising on several colors of widgets and has an ad for each color.

- A get to the landing page and I see their phone number.  I pick up my phone and I enter the phone number in.  

The only way google can associate that phone call with the keyword "pink widgets" in the Adwords campaign is if that particular forwarding number is only displayed on the landing page when someone comes in on the keyword "pink widgets"

Maybe I misunderstood, but you were claiming you only needed one forwarding number.  Google doesn't control what phone number is displayed on the landing page of my website, they can only control the phone number displayed in the Adwords ad.  

So if I searched for "blue widget" and the ad goes to the same landing page as the ad for "pink widget" the phone number will be the same on both landing pages, UNLESS the website was coded (which has nothing to do with Google) to read the referral keyword and dynamically change the phone number displayed.

On manually dialed phone calls, Google cannot determine the keyword unless they phone number is only displayed on the landing page for that particular keyword.

If you are still unclear, I'll just let someone else come in and confirm this.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

By the way, I posted the same question in the Moz forum and got the proper answer which is actually addressing the question of the average phone conversation rate over the form submission rate.  It's estimated at 30% but can vary.  We've been going off on a tangent due to your misunderstanding.  This user correctly understood what I was explaining and pointed out he uses Twilio which is a service that you can purchase as many phone numbers as you want and dynamically display them in landing pages based on the keyword/ad group/campaign that referred the user to the landing page.  (I've done this from scratch with an IP phone number service and some PHP coding).

You can read is correct response here:

https://moz.com/community/q/experiences-tracking-phone-call-conversions#reply_358049

You can read about the Twilio service here:

https://www.twilio.com/blog/2015/09/an-open-letter-to-saul-goodman-on-call-tracking-with-google-anal...

or here

https://customers.twilio.com/236/trulia/

Using your explanation, every single Real Estate listing on Trulia would have the same phone number.  That doesn't work as then you wouldn't know which listing they person called from.  You need different phone numbers to identify the sources of manually dialed calls.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Jeff,

Just making sure we are talking about the same thing here. With Google Call Forwarding, you place Google code on your website, and it dynamically changes the phone number on your site, but only for AdWords visitors. Google uses cookies to know which ad/keyword the person visited via. 

Paid call services work for all visitors. They can't set a cookie from the Google site, so it needs to be encoded in the Final URL of your ad, or use separate landing pages.

Regarding your main question, it can vary not just by industry, but how your landing page is designed, and individual search queries. For someone searching for "emergency plumber" it will just about always be a call rather than a form fill, for example. 

With PPC, you need to measure every conversion possible, or else you won't have the data to know what works.