AdWords
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Tracking Conversions for Separate Adwords Campaigns

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am currently working on a campaign for a ecommerce client. What would you recommend the best way to track Adwords conversions for separate products with the same thank you page? I was thinking to use reverse goal path but I don't believe it will give me enough info to help me differentiate from the conversions based on the separate Adwords campaigns versus a conversion based on an organic search. Any insight on the best approach to track separate Adwords campaigns for different products that all share the same thank you page? The only other thing I can think of is to have a developer make separate thank you pages for each product, then create separate goals using each thank you page url's.

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
June

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Lynn C,

In case you wish to have an easy life and some fun, please have a developer make separate thank you pages for each product. Everything else could be much more complex.

Best,

Lakatos

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

If you are tracking goals in analytics, then the traffic/goals should already be segmented by source/medium - Unless you have auto tagging turned off, and aren't using any manual tagging. You can get all the campaign or source data you want in analytics. If the issue is that you want to track value and/or unique products sold, is ecommerce a possibility? 

Tom

Re: Tracking Conversions for Separate Adwords Campaigns

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Ok, great!

Our developer has made separate thank you pages. I'm assuming we would be using different conversion tags for each product? In other words, we wouldn't add the same snippet of code for both thank you pages??

Also, I noticed the tag we currently have in place still says unverified as the status. I am not seeing conversions in Adwords but I do see the conversions showing up in Analytics (which we also have installed on the backend). What could be causing the tag status to be "unverified" in Adwords?

--
Lynn

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner

Tags and coding are definitely NOT my area of expertise. Smiley Happy However, if you are accurately reporting goals in analytics, why not just import those goals as conversions in AdWords? Because of the challenges associated with adding code to clients sites, the only AdWords conversions I use anymore are phone call conversions. Since no additional code needs to be added. 

Like @Lakatos mentioned, the more code you have, the more potential there is for something to go wrong. If your developer has figured out a way to accurately track conversions and value through analytics (or website structure and analytics code), then you might consider removing the variables of additional AdWords code, and just use imported analytics goals.

Tom