AdWords
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Tracking Calls - using HTML code for tracking

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I heard from a respected source yesterday that it was possible to add in code (similar to that of normal - web form HTML code) to a website and the site's phone number changes unique to each AdWords invidivudal. I can't find anything on the web about this other than the usual stuff about call extensions, how do I go about doing this? 

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Tracking Calls - using HTML code for tracking

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello, Phil.

I believe it's not just about a small piece of code but also about Phone Call Tracking software: https://www.google.com/analytics/apps/results?category=Phone%20Call%20Tracking&start=10

Am I right? The number not only has to change, but shop / site owners have to be able to track a successful phone call down to search term level, for instance. Or keyword, location, time of day and so on.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

To me it sounds like conversion tracking by asigning a click code to a phone number found on a site , described here :

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722054?hl=en

( expand "Track conversions on a mobile site with a phone number" ) 

"If your mobile website displays a phone number, customers with mobile devices can click and call that number. You can track those calls in AdWords and assign a monetary value to them."

However this theory of mine does not fit the part where the phone number changes.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

That would make sense AdWiser, I've never heard of this sort of software before, it might be something we look at doing as the sites we run AdWords campaigns on are likely to receive a lot more phone calls than web forms. Does this software then display which keywords have led to calls in AdWords? 

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
I don't have experience with it, Phil, but from what I diagonally read in some articles it does. I cannot single out one specific product, and I don't think we should advertise them here anyway, but I think that if you ask around you may find people using such solutions and they can recommend you one. Most of them integrate with Google Analytics (and possibly adWords as well) so they can give you a lot of insights. For a price, of course.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Could it be that instead of "and the site's phone number changes unique to each AdWords invidivudal." , that person told you that each click generates a value for the variable called GCLID ( google click ID ) ? 

Even the biggest call tracking software companies do not have an infinite set of numbers to allocate them in a unique way to all your visitors.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Phil

This can be done with the help of "div" in HTML. I am not a developer but i have worked for a client where we used to put different affiliate codes in the URL and the phone number changes automatically as per the affiliate code used.
Search Google for "change div content on page load" and if you know HTML and all then you will definitely able to fix it up.

My views!

Abhishek

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks for your help as always guys!