5.8K members online now
5.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Tracking Calls from Website -- Vanity Number with Letters Instead of Digits

Badged Google Partner
# 1
Badged Google Partner

One of my accounts uses  a vanity number, i.e. 1-800-BUY- PENS (not the actual number), and I've tried to use the  script (implemented in Google Tag Manager) that replaces the number with a Google tracking phone number.  The problem is that the script only replaces the digits, and not the letters, and it ends up showing on the page as "480-555-1212BUY-PENS.

Is there a way to modify the script to make this work properly?  Any tips  on making this work would be appreciated!

Thanks!

2 Expert replyverified_user
Highlighted
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
1w

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

A number of the third party call tracking solutions handle this seamlessly... 

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Google forwarding does not work with vanity numbers. I haven't discovered a way of getting around this, and I've had dozens of clients asking for a solution. I end up telling them to either change it to a regular number on their site, just count clicks on the number, or build a landing page.

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Brad F

I'd tell them to stop using it. Vanity numbers on a website are counter-productive. They were designed to be a mnemonic for print/TV/radio.  Not necessary for the web, and actually make for a poor user experience. The user has to take time to decipher instead of just dialing what they see on the screen. Not good for SEO either.

Experts in the Topic
RobSkelton
stickleback