AdWords
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Tracking Android app downloads from Google Play

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I'm running a campaign for my free Android app. I'm trying to track downloads from Google Play. I added a conversion for mobile Android apps but I'm not seeing any conversions in my stats even though I confirmed I'm getting downloads.

Supposedly there is no code requirement since the download is from Google's own store. The conversion code tab says: "No code is necessary to track your Android app download. Your conversions will begin to appear within the next 24 hours."

It's been a few days now. When will I start seeing conversion stats?

Thanks in advance,

Barry

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Tracking Android app downloads from Google Play

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Barry,

Welcome to the forum Smiley Happy

Although you don't have to include some code, but you will have to create a separate conversion tracking action in Tools and Analysis Tab using following method as per Google notes:

1. Sign in to your AdWords account at http://adwords.google.com
  2. Click the "Tools and Analysis" tab, and then click the "Conversions" tab.
  3. Click the "+ New conversion" button.
  4. Name your conversion, select "Mobile app download" and click "Save and continue". Enter the package name. (You can find your package name by looking up your app in Google Play. It's the part of the base URL that identifies your application: "https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=<package_name>"
  5. Click "Save and continue".
  6. On the next screen, click "Done".
  7. Your mobile app downloads conversion data will now start showing up with the rest of your conversion data within 24 hours.

I would also advice you to try and do a test conversion by downloading your own mobile app by clicking your own ad and then see after 24hrs. if the conversion adds up or not.

Let us know if that helps or not!

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Pankaj,

Thanks for your reply. I already read those docs and created my conversions last week and tested everything but no conversions are showing up in my stats.

Barry

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Barry,

Did you try the test conversion as I said in my prior post?

I would strongly suggest you to try that and then see if the stats are updated or not.

Pankaj

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Barry, have you set up a Google Analytics profile for the App?  It would give you another data metric to use as a comparison.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm not even sure where I would find my ad.  It's also unclear how you can purchase it if you've already purchased it.  

I'm curious how many people have hundreds of clicks and zero sales, could it be that all of these ads don't convert, hmmm.  If that's google's pov, then they're basically telling all of us to stop advertising.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I just want to add that I have the exact same problem as BarryF.

I have had the ads for my app going for about three months. I haven't had that many clicks, 350, but I still find it hard to believe that of those 350 clicks to Google Play Store, not a single person downloaded the app afterwards.

There seems to be something wrong with tracking conversions of app downloads/purchases. Either that or there's simply some step you need to do to track the conversions that are missing from the documentation.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

are these ads click-to-download or mobile-app-extensions?

currently, is there any native-application tracking

permissions set-up within the app's manifest file?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I'm not sure what those are. I have an ad that points directly to this page in the Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=no.bjarte.telefonterror.android

I have Google Analytics permissions in my app, but not the AdWords tracking permissions.

Do you think I need to add the AdWords conversion tracking code to my app?

The documentation specifically says it's not necessary.