AdWords
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Track website conversions with GTM

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi guys,

I'd like to track a click on a link on a landingpage which refers to my homepage

I've found this source for tracking google adwords:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6095821

It talks about two steps:

1) Get the conversion tracking tag from your AdWords account

2) Add the tag to your website

Now, how can I do this with GTM?

Can I even do the "Setting up an onclick handler for conversion" with GTM without changing anything on my page?

Any hint would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Peter

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
November 2015

Re: Track website conversions with GTM

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Peter
There are a number of ways to do this. It's actually a surprisingly common question.

I wrote a blog post about this here : https://www.redflymarketing.com/blog/track-conversions-without-a-thank-you-page/

It goes through 3 different options available to you. With GTM though it's a little bit trickier.

If I were you, for such a simple conversion, I'd go with what Leandro suggested and use GA events as a goal and then import this into AdWords.

To be honest, a click to the homepage in my opinion isn't a very good conversion in AdWords but you might have a perfectly valid reason for it. I can't understand why you'd want to track a click to a link as a conversion when you can just send the traffic direct. I'd love to hear your use case though, I'm always interested in hearing those stories.

If you want to provide a more comprehensive description of your requirements, we can probably offer some advice and possibly provide more customized steps for implementing this.

Whatever route you choose, you'll have to make code adjustments. You won't be able to do this 100% in GTM. At least not the way I read the original scenario.

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Peter, how are things?

Google Adwords Conversions tag are used for measuring the main purpose of your website such as a sale, a form subscription and that kind of thing,

If you want to measure clicks on links, you should use Google Analytics Events. That's very good, becayse they'll not interfere with your main conversions.

This page covers what you need for creating a analytics event:
https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/events

Hope this helps.

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
November 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Peter
There are a number of ways to do this. It's actually a surprisingly common question.

I wrote a blog post about this here : https://www.redflymarketing.com/blog/track-conversions-without-a-thank-you-page/

It goes through 3 different options available to you. With GTM though it's a little bit trickier.

If I were you, for such a simple conversion, I'd go with what Leandro suggested and use GA events as a goal and then import this into AdWords.

To be honest, a click to the homepage in my opinion isn't a very good conversion in AdWords but you might have a perfectly valid reason for it. I can't understand why you'd want to track a click to a link as a conversion when you can just send the traffic direct. I'd love to hear your use case though, I'm always interested in hearing those stories.

If you want to provide a more comprehensive description of your requirements, we can probably offer some advice and possibly provide more customized steps for implementing this.

Whatever route you choose, you'll have to make code adjustments. You won't be able to do this 100% in GTM. At least not the way I read the original scenario.