AdWords
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Track calls to a phone number on a website

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I'm using a 3rd party call tracking software. However, I also want to measure call conversions within Adwords to measure effectiveness of which ads or keywords are bringing in leads. From my understanding of reading the support articles, this can only work if I use Google's Forwarding numbers only? Is there no other way to do this with my own 3rd party service? Note that I'm not referring to tracking calls if a visitor dials from the call extension. But if they dial from the landing page. Thanks

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
January

Re: Track calls to a phone number on a website

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

@H Dean H,

In order to track phone conversions, via Adwords, then you would need to integrate a tag from Adwords conversions on your site just like you did for your 3rd party software. Even though I don't think you can pass that conversion data from your 3rd party software to your Adwords account, you can implement a tracking template, via Adwords, and utilize value track paramaters to dynamically pass campaign data to your 3rd party software system. Which would allow you to determine which campaigns, keywords, device, etc triggered the conversion.

Or you can also setup phone call conversion tracking within Adwords directly.

All you need to do is create a new conversion (Phone Calls), select "calls to a phone number on your site", follow the next steps, provide Google your phone number that you are trying to track on your landing page, then download that tag and implement it on your site.

Screen Shot 2018-01-04 at 2.17.16 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-01-04 at 2.17.21 PM.png

I hope this helped!

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Hi there,

Check if your 3rd party provider can create Analytics events from calls. If so, these can be imported into AdWords.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

@Cameron R

I'm using Call Tracking Metrics software so I'm able to see the source of the conversion. However, I also want to see within Adwords interface since Adwords has plenty of other metrics to look at.

Judging by the 3 options in the above image, it seems that Google requires we sign up to their Google Forwarding Number service in order to use this? However, if I select Calls to a phone number on your website and go through the steps, it seems I don't need to use a Google Forwarding number and can just use my own and it will generate a custom script for that number? Can you clarify?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

@RobSkelton

I'm using Call Tracking Metrics so yes, they can produce analytics and I was considering doing a Call Conversion Import. However, from reading this doc below, Google says this will only work if I have a Google Forwarding number? 

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6301373?hl=en&authuser=1&ref_topic=7280668

--------------------------------

Before you begin

Call conversion import requires Google forwarding numbers, which are currently available in these countries.

This kind of conversion tracking measures clicks-to-call from mobile ads, but not manually dialed calls from desktop ads at this time. This does support calls from your website after someone clicks a desktop ad.

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

If you want details like call times and lengths in AdWords, then you need to use Google's call forwarding.

If you just want to import conversions, that show up as regular conversions, that is different and not a problem.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

@H Dean H,

Just so you have all the options necessary to make a decision, here is how you can pass more data to your 3rd party call tracking system.

Value Track Parameters

{lpurl}?keyword={keyword}&matchtype={matchtype}&network={network}&device={device}&adposition={adposition}

If you were to include this tracking template in your adwords campaign, then your call tracking in your 3rd party software system would be able to display: which keyword triggered the call ({keyword}), watch keyword matchtype (exact, broad, phrase), network (search, display), device, and even ad position. All those values would be passed dynamically. 

Call Conversions in Adwords

When you select "Calls to a phone number on your website" then Adwords will prompt you to provide the phone number on your website that needs to be tracked. This option should be selected if you only need to track 1 number on the site. The tag includes javascript that replaces your phone number with a google forwarding number dynamically whenever a user clicks your ad and navigates to the page with the tag implemented to track those phone calls.

*Note: you need to have call extensions enabled on your campaign in order to activate this tracking feature.

The Tag Looks Like This

<script type="text/javascript">
(function(a,e,c,f,g,h,b,d){var k={ak:"934341448",cl:"bJm0CJz_hnsQu7YtvQM",autoreplace:"YOURPHONENUMBER"};a[c]=a[c]||function(){(a[c].q=a[c].q||[]).push(arguments)};a[g]||(a[g]=k.ak);b=e.createElement(h);b.async=1;b.src="//www.gstatic.com/wcm/loader.js";d=e.getElementsByTagName(h)[0];d.parentNode.insertBefore(b,d);a[f]=fu... Date,e)};a[f]()})(window,document,"_googWcmImpl","_googWcmGet","_googWcmAk","script");
</script>

So this tag will autoreplace your phone number with a google forwarding number.

Does that answer your questions?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I believe so. So the YOURPHONENUMBER you have in the JS code is really the Google Forwarding number. Not my original phone number?

I don't intend to get a Google Forwarding number just to track conversions since my 3rd party tool will suffice.So I guess I'll just manually import call conversion data to my conversion metrics within adwords

Highlighted

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

I use Call Tracking Metrics for many of my clients. The solution is to integrate Google Analytics in your CTM account and then trigger the GA event each time a call is made - check the documentation on the CTM help site.

One word of warning - be careful with the "value" of the conversion - by default the system will count the seconds as dollars - which means you get some pretty funky numbers if you don't edit that....

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

@H Dean H,

Actually, that autoreplace function within the JS includes your number on the landing page. And then the script would trigger a google forwarding number to replace it once the conditions are met (example: a user clicks through one of your ads and visits the landing page with the tracking code).

Importing your call conversion data might be the best solution for now. But now you know how phone tracking works in adwords!

Cheers Smiley Happy