AdWords
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Track calls but not actually display the altered adwords phone number

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,
I have a website, on which when somebody clicks on add and come to the site , it shows altered number..
I want to ask is their some way we track the calls but don't display the altered number , i just want to display original business number.. ?
Can it be done via some script or via custom coding ..?

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

The best solution I have found is to obtain a free Google voice number (Google.com/voice) -- those are US numbers -- and then consider that the permanent business number for online purposes.  Configure the Google voice number to forward to the number(s) that you want to answer.  A very nice feature is, it can ring several numbers at once.  Be sure to configure it for "call forwarding off" so there is no announcement, just an instant forward.  Then display the Google voice number on your site, and you will be able to track all phone call conversions. 

There are 3rd party solutions, but that is beyond the scope of this forum and they inevitably, introduce other, bigger complexities, costs, and issues/tradeoffs.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the quick reply.

Just to confirm, so you mean their is no solution apart from google voice and 3rd party solutions ? where we can display our original number on our site instead of dynamically generated number ?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi YZM D,

You can show your original number, if that's what you really want to do. You added some code to your web site that shows the Google number if the user source was AdWords. That's so you can record calls and conversions. If a user was an AdWords source and calls your original number, that action will not be recorded for AdWords. That makes it difficult for you to analyze your results.

To show the original number, just remove the code from your site. There should be a _googwcmget() also, in the body onload tag. Remove that, too. Once that's done, you won't be able to track the calls.

Looking at your question again, I guess the answer is no.

Best of Luck,

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords