AdWords
3.2K members online now
3.2K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Total Impression Count Different from Dis/Sch Network

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Adwords Community,

I've been keeping a close eye on my Adwords campaign, which is a Search + Display network with 2 Ad groups (Image / Banner Ad + Keyword Ads). The reason for running one campaign rather than 2 separate campaigns was due to budget constraints, and an observation that running Banners without an accompanying keyword ad doesn't generate impression counts.

So for example, for the month of September, these are the results when i calculate each keyword and banner manually:

Banner Ad Impressions Total : 10881

Keyword Ad Impressions Total: 12202

Total Impressions for both the Search and Display network: 62158

Number of Impression counts i cannot allocate: 39075

Allocation of Impression based on Networks:

Search Network: Is always accurate, and the number of impressions for the keywords are a match (12202)

Display Network: This is where the 39075 impression counts i am unable to allocate to either the keywords or banner are allocated to by Adwords.

Where are these impression counts going to? Are they all related to keywords? My keywords are set to show all, while my Banner ad is set to show "all enabled" (However, no Banners have been paused after the campaign began).

Thank you,

Justin

Re: Total Impression Count Different from Dis/Sch Network

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Justin,

Just to be sure I understand - you are adding up ad impression totals and then comparing them to the totals at the bottom of the page. Is this correct?

If so, is it possible that you are only looking at enabled ads, instead of all ads? Is just one of your ad group impression totals appearing incorrect, or both?

In regard to your campaign set-up, I would highly suggest breaking out display and paid search. You could set up shared budget to continue using the same budget. I'm not sure what you mean by "running Banners without an accompanying keyword ad doesn't generate impression counts." Can you elaborate on your experience?

Looking forward to hearing more!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Amy,

Thanks for your quick response.

"adding up ad impression totals and then comparing them to the totals at the bottom of the page" - Yes this is correct. I am only looking at enabled ads, There are certain keywords that i have paused, that have not been running for more than 4 weeks. Do paused keywords still generate impressions?

So its best to split both Ad groups into separate campaigns? If so, should the banner ads be a display network only and the keywords a search network only?

Running Banners without an accompanying keyword ad

I initially ran both the Banners and Keywords in separate campaigns. Based on 2 weeks results, in which the first week, my Max CPC was 4.00, i managed a total of < 50 impressions over the course of the week.

The landing page was re-deisgned, and the CPC for each banner was increased to 10.00, despite the change, impression counts only raised to < 100.

However, when i created an accompanying keywords ad groups, to use certain words related to the banner ad, and reduced both the CPC to roughly 4.00, that same week, the impression counts began to slowly rise. Eventually going from the 10s, to 100s to 1000s.

I found that the selected group of keywords in the combined campaign also improved, it was as though running the two of them made them a strong couple, complimenting each other to improve, rather than as 2 separate campaigns.

Thank you.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
So, in regards to the total number of impression / click count, how do i determine where the 'extra' numbers come from?

Example:

Manually Counted total number of keyword impressions : 40
Total number: 150

Where does that extra 110 come from?