AdWords
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Top traffic in display from placement www.google.com . Why ?

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I am getting some strange readings in the Display network Placements reports both for standard Display Campaigns and Remarketing Campaigns running banner ads.

The placement with the highest CTR , 4.8 %, very unusual for Display,  is the domain google.com , and when I go to "See details>>All" to get an actual website URL like a webpage URL, all I see for these clicks as URL is the main domain www.google.com

Exactly how and where is google runnning my banner ads on google.com ?

See screenshot below :

placement-google-com.jpg

Update : in google analytics this domain has 100% bounce sessions, even if I am using Adjusted Bounce rate to set Time Events every 10 seconds so I would see a visit on 1 page of 10 seconds , but all these sessions from google.com placement domain are 00.00 seconds. A flood of useless traffic .

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Top traffic in display from placement www.google.com . Why ?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Even I spotted Google.com under placement section this morning. Would be interested to know about the websites which are being categorized under it ?

Thanks
Ratan Jha

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you Ratan Jha for confirming that this problem is found also in your account.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Just received this explanation from Google tech support via email. I am posting it here in hope it will help others who have Display Campaigns and see this problem.

"

In short, the 'google.com' placement is in fact referring to www.google.com. This doesn't mean the ads showed on the search engine, but that the click is being attributed to google.com instead of the correct placement. This happens due to a known technical issue where we're sometimes unable to distinguish the actual placement and will attribute the click to the site prior, or in this case the google.com search results. 

At the moment, this is a known technical issue our engineers are working on fixing. In the meantime, you can block 'www.google.com' as a placement to avoid this attribution error. "

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Has anyone heard any updates on this at all? I'm still seeing this happening. How about you guys?

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I have no update from Google tech support and no further data since I have blocked that placement.

However I do have very high volumes of impressions/clicks with banners placed on mail.yahoo.com so I would recommend targeting this placement for anyone dealing with Display Campaigns.