AdWords
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Tool to extract Phrase match keywords from a big Search Terms Report

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I have a rather large Search Terms report to deal with, which has over 130.000 unique variations of search terms.

I want to extract from it sequences of 2,3 or 4 words that are common to several search terms, which in turn I can use to target as phrase match keywords.

By arranging alphabetically the STR I was able to discover such 3-4 words expressions, but I only managed to create 1500 exact and phrase keywords that cover 55.000 search terms. From the remaining 75.000 terms I have no chance to discover new long tail keywords in phrase match without a software tool.

One tool that works well with 2 word sequences is this one :

http://tools.seobook.com/general/keyword-density/

But for 3 words sequences it offers permutations, not phrase matches, so instead of telling me how many times is repeated "word1 word2 word3" it tells me how many terms have all those 3 words in any order, which is good for a BMM keyword only.

What tool do experienced PPC managers use to extract phrase match , long tail, keywords from a large search terms report ?

Thank you

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Tool to extract Phrase match keywords from a big Search Terms Repo

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Good use case. Can't wait to hear from the experts here.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
What you're describing here may exist as a tool but is in fact a whole application. A decent programmer with some SQL skills should be able to produce that for you, I think.

But I don't know, as I said, if there is anything like that out there.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

The Opportunity feature to regroup keywords already does this phrase detection to move similar keywords into new ad groups, based on common words.

I thought such a tool is used on a monthly basis by account managers since everyone would need to automate the task of mining new keywords from the search terms report.

I can't believe that this feature doesn't exist already as a function somewhere in the official adwords tools.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I think I found a work around but it crashes for an input of 75.000 terms. It is this tool for "phrase frequency counter"

http://www.writewords.org.uk/phrase_count.asp

What I did was to divide the table first.

I used a filter in excel to separate all words that contain the letter "d" from all that don't , to reduce the input to less than 50.000 records.

Then I copy pasted the resulting table in this tool and it worked to extract 3 , 4 and 5 words phrases.

But I still think such a tool should be in the AdWords official arsenal of management tools.

Thank you Mini and AdWiser for the help.