AdWords
4K members online now
4K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

To all paid search managers, how have you balanced traffic quality with traffic quantity?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Many of my CPG clients are not online retailers/sellers, so there is not a conversion against which to measure ROI. The payoff for clicking users is effectively/efficiently getting the “answers” to their search queries…via site content. That is the end goal (being useful) and why I measure post-click user behavior metrics such as bounce rate, time on site, and pages/session. I’ve raised CTR (+31%), avg. ad position (3.0 to 1.5), and avg. KW quality score by about 10%. To raise ad position, I bid more aggressively, which increased avg. CPC 122%. That, coupled with a lower budget overall, resulted in fewer clicks. I'm looking to show this as progress, not a detriment to success. Internal team members and client team members are having trouble overcoming their focus on vanity metrics like clicks, impressions, and site traffic volume. My theory is that the quality of traffic has improved when I consider that bounce rate is down, and time on site time and pages/visit are relatively even, YOY. Looking ahead, I think I need to establish "conversion actions" on site, and optimizing against these since sales/ROI is not really at play. That would also help position those actions as more important than clicks, impressions, and site traffic volume.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Travis B
August 2016

Re: To all paid search managers, how have you balanced traffic quality with traffic quantity?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Travis,

Congrats for your decision to focus on quality of clicks and not on the quantity. Now, I have one thing to make your job easier for you Smiley Happy

Smart Goals 

It basically allows people who are not measuring site conversions to use their quality visit as a conversion. It takes into account most of the visit quality metrics like average session duration, page per session etc.

There is some prerequisites for using smart goals. I would suggest you to kindly go through the following link:

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6153083?hl=en

Hope it helps !!

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Travis B
August 2016

Re: To all paid search managers, how have you balanced traffic quality with traffic quantity?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Travis,

Congrats for your decision to focus on quality of clicks and not on the quantity. Now, I have one thing to make your job easier for you Smiley Happy

Smart Goals 

It basically allows people who are not measuring site conversions to use their quality visit as a conversion. It takes into account most of the visit quality metrics like average session duration, page per session etc.

There is some prerequisites for using smart goals. I would suggest you to kindly go through the following link:

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6153083?hl=en

Hope it helps !!

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Just for the sake of clarity here... "being useful" doesn't pay the bills... and internal team members are presumably on a salary - so unless I'm missing something the site should be generating something that leads to income. It may not be as simple as being direct lead gen - but something has to be moving people closer to your end goal objective.

Even a site such as Wikipedia relies on donations and I occasionally get a popup when I visit the site asking for a donation - and I usually send a few bucks - it feel like the right thing to do. And I'm sure that there is an optimal moment to ask me for these donations . it might be if I have visited the site 4 times in one week - it might be when I've visited the site twice, but looked at more than 5 pages in total. Or if I've spent more than 10 minutes on the site this month.

Smart goals as @DEEPAK G mentions look at these kind of engagement signals - but you might be able to establish your own criteria more accurately once you figure out what it is you would ideally like your visitors to be doing.

-

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

That's a fantastic solution, @Deepak G. It's something I've piloted with one client so far. Decent results, so I think that's a way to move forward in this situation. Thanks!