AdWords
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

The gclid parameter after Destination URLs

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi,

In Adwords I have Autotagging switched on which means ad clicks append a ?gclid parameter to Destination URLs.

Now one of the things Google tells us is that parameters after URLs can trigger duplicate content issues and generally the advice is to add the parameter in question into Webmaster Tools > Crawl > URL Parameters to avoid this.

Is this necessary with the gclid parameter? 

Thanks.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: The gclid parameter after Destination URLs

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Swebber,

Interesting question.

I would think so,

Because the gclid parameter is mentioned here :
http://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/139066?hl=en
** I´am learning Adwords and find it very interesting.
** Ik ben Adwords aan het leren en vind het erg boeiend.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Elja, thanks for your reply. Interesting. You would have thought that Google would have been able to identify their own tracking parameter and disregard it for duplicate content issues - so I am surprised to see gclid mentioned in the link you posted.

I know that I don't have any parameters showing up in WMT under Duplicate Meta Descriptions, Duplicate Title Tags, etc (though there are quite a few pages which haven't existed for 2 years which Google doesn't seem to be removing for some reason - but that's a separate issue!)

I would be interested to know if other Adwords users here have felt it necessary to specifically exclude the gclid parameter in their WMT.

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
It surprised me too.
But when I googled about this topic I did find this support page.

Maybe it the reason is because they keep the Adwords systems totally separate from the organic system.

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Yes it could be that.

Although in a curious way..... [conspiracy theory removed!]

Seriously though, I am interested to know how many people have actually added gclid to the 'URL Parameters' section of their WMT. Is this something most people haven't thought about? Or is it done as standard? Or is it not considered a major issue?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi swebber,

I am really not certain it is required. GoogleBot can't crawl links with a gclid, so they won't end up in the index and won't be flagged as duplicate pages. I don't know how it would hurt to include gclid in WMT, but it doesn't seem to be a problem. BTW, I don't have gclid listed in WMT and have never seen a duplicate page issue caused by that.

I do include canonical tag in the header of all our pages, which is one of Google's suggestions for dealing with this. I suppose that could be why I don't have an issue with this.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Petebardo,

Why do you think Googlebot can´t crawl links with a gclid?
I cannot see a reason why Goolebot can´t do that

Edit : As far as I know, the Ad-link is redirected to you website with the gclid parameter.
And via that redirect action the gclid parameter is set.

And Googlebot look at the webpage the redirect goes.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Hi Elga G,

The ads you see on SERP's and display ads are produced by Javascript. GoogleBot doesn't run Javascript on a page, so there are no AdWords links to crawl.

The gclid is attached by the AdWords system after the click. Unless you manually create links with a gclid values (why would yo do that?), the bot can't pick up the gclid value from a click on the link.

There's no harm in excluding it.

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks for your input Pete. On reflection, I think, given the uncertainly, I may leave this alone for now - i.e. leave it to Google to work out.

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Petbardo,

I do not understand why you say that googlebot dos not read links in javascript.
I know that this was so in the old day´s (10 years ago maybe?)

But for years I did have links in javascript on my sites I think for some 7-8 years.. And Googlebot does read them very well.