AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

The formula for Avg. Pos is a weighted average ?

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

If we had 5 impressions in position 1 ,  8 impressions in position 4, and 9 impressions in pos 7 the formula for avg. ad. pos would be a weighted mean ?

[ 5 imp. x 1(the weight of these impressions) + 8 imp x 4 + 9x7]/ total no. of imp (5+8+9) = 

(5+32+56) / 22 = 93/22 = 4.227 avg. pos ?

Another example 5 impressions in position 1.0, 5 impressions in position 5 and 5.0 impressions in position 10.0

A weighted average would be :

[(5x1) + (5 x 5) + (5 x 10) ] / 15 = 5.33 avg pos ?

[edit] and the most basic example 2 imp. in position 1.0 and 20 impressions in position 10 would be 

[(2x1) + (20x10)] / (2+20) = 202/22= 9.18 reported as a rounded avg. pos. of 9.2 ?

[end edit]

Also what does it mean from here :

http://adwords.blogspot.ro/2011/04/understanding-average-position-metric.html

that the "average position measures your position in the auction, not your position on the page."

The only difference between "ad position" and "auction position" is when the ad gets shown on a different position "first on top" and first on the right hand side" , but it has the same "auction position" of 1 ?

So the "avg.pos. metric" indicates only the auction position ?

Thank you

(please avoid diplomatic answers that do not touch the question at all,  such as "the avg. pos. is not an important metric for your ad performance, you should be looking at other metrics" )

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adrian B
September 2015

Re: The formula for Avg. Pos is a weighted average ?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Adrian,

Yes the "Ave Position" is the weighted mean of the Impressions based on "Auction Position" NOT Page Position. This is because sometimes in searches "Auction Position 1" May be "Right Ad One" as there are no "Top Ads". So what I would consider to be Position 4 (top right) would actually be "Auction Position 1" on this occasion.

I hope I have made that as clear as I can?

Cheers
J

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for confirming my theory.

I  suppose you don't know an official link or any article where this formula for the avg.pos (in auction) is disclosed ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Adrian,

It's very interesting your post. But i dont have clear what you mean with "the weight of these impressions".

Can you explain me?

Thanks

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @Adrian B,

I was just going through your post and noticed that in your first example the calculation should be: 1x(5/22) + 4x(8/22) + 7x(9/22) = 4.55. You have it as 4.22, that's off by 7%.

Julia Muller,
AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
I love being reminded an arithmetics mistake from 2 years ago Smiley Happy
Imagine me doing the face that Drake does in this commercial when he says "I love changes" at s 10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMWzX0RC7f4

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Yup, 2 years is a lot of time. Enough to mention that the right side ad positions mentioned above by Jack have meanwhile been retired .... Smiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Adrian B wrote:

Hello,

If we had 5 impressions in position 1 ,  8 impressions in position 4, and 9 impressions in pos 7 the formula for avg. ad. pos would be a weighted mean ?

[ 5 imp. x 1(the weight of these impressions) + 8 imp x 4 + 9x7]/ total no. of imp (5+8+9) = 

(5+32+56) / 22 = 93/22 = 4.227 avg. pos ?

Adrian, your calculation is right actually, I was thrown off by the mistake above 9x7 does not equal 56, it equals 63. If that number is used then your result would be the same weighted ad position number 4.55. This community retains information for years to come, and is indexed and easily searchable by topic, always a good idea to correct a mistake, as someone may be quite thrown off by the math that doesn't add up.

Julia Muller,
AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

"This community retains information for years to come, and is indexed and easily searchable by topic, always a good idea to correct a mistake"

It would be a good ideea to spend your time to correct such a mistake under one condition, of thread relevancy from the traffic volume point of view.

This is: IF the community managers gave you a list of the forum pages and their organic traffic from the past 90 days from the Google Search Console, and this particular thread resulted in the Top 30 to 50% of high traffic articles with a reasonable amount of semestrial traffic which would justify a thorough check of the information within it.

So may I ask what is the particular organic traffic volume of this thread from the past 90 days that made it so important to check for mistakes?

If you don't have this information of traffic volume, you want me to believe that your task is to check at random the correctness from all the 30.000 threads of the forum and that you just happened to dig up this particular thread?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

My point is that you seem to be on a path of trying to do some really good deeds on a bunch of really invisible articles.

There are so many other better things to do with one's time than to write follow ups on useless, old articles.

23568db7883ee107d4147c4288fd3749.jpg