AdWords
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

The ad extension report on call extensions. Can anyone tell me..

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Dear reader,

Case:

I got a number of only mobile campaigns in Adwords. I give these people the following options in my Ad:
click on headlink and go to website
click on sitelink and go to website
click on call extension (phone number of closest store) and call me and  place an order Smiley Happy

This is al working!

Problem:

When i visit the ad extension report underneath the ad extensions tab i get when i segment on click type:

headlink
sitelink

and call extension

After a couple of days i noticed that a lott of people were clicking on the call ad (according to Google Adwords) and this smelled a bit fishy so i investigated and segmented on click type. Glad i did, or else i would have had the wrong impression of the effectiveness of my ads.

Question:

Can anyone tell me why there are also clicks to the website in this report?

If it isn t possible to get only the clicks on call extension in google adwords, how can i see al the totals? Of al 3 different clicks. (Without using Excel)

Final question:

How does a click on a call extension look in Google Analytics, does it track it like a visit or click in the Adwords reporting tab? Or does Google Analytics it neglect it?

Thanks in advance,

Re: The ad extension report on call extensions. Can anyone tell me..

Jun
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Jun
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Dear Op,

The ad extensions report only shows data from when your phone number is displayed.  It is possible that your phone number will not always be displayed when an ad is served.

Can anyone tell me why there are also clicks to the website in this report?

When your phone number does show up with the ad, the user has a choice of using the click to call or clicking on your ad which takes them to a website. 

If it isn t possible to get only the clicks on call extension in google adwords, how can i see al the totals? Of al 3 different clicks

"Mobile clicks-to-call" is the metric for "only the clicks on call extension" note that this does not include when the user dials the number manually after seeing an ad.

To see all the clicks and calls that your campaign is accruing

click on a tab such as campaign or ad groups

click on the columns drop down (near the middle of your screen) choose [customized columns]

Add the metric "Phone calls" under "Call details" menu.

Now when you view your campaign information you can see all clicks and all phone calls.

Final question:

The click to call feature for mobile users does not get reported by google analytics, because the user has not physically visited your site.  It will be recorded in adwords

Re: The ad extension report on call extensions. Can anyone tell me..

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Great post above.  

Just as an added point though, if you want data on manually dialed calls, you will need to enable Call Metrics: http://www.google.com/ads/innovations/callmetrics.html.  These calls will show up in the Phone Calls column.