AdWords
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Test iOS Conversion tracking prior to App Store submission

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My team just put the iOS conversion tracking code snippet into our app for the purpose of tracking downloads to clicks on AdWords. Everying in the consoles looks good but we would still like to test that the download tracking is working BEFORE we submit our app to the Apple App Store.

I have looked up and down and talked with AdWords support but cannot figure out how to test this prior to having the app live in the App Store. 

Anyone figured out how to test the tracking snippet before you put your app in the App Store?

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Craig B (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Test iOS Conversion tracking prior to App Store submission

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee
Hi Ashley,

My name is Craig from Google Adwords and I am happy to shed some light on performing a test iOS conversion prior to submitting to the app store. If you would like to confirm you have set this up properly, the first time you run your app after adding the conversion tracking snippet, you should see messages similar to the following logged to your console, indicating that your app is successfully tracking downloads:

ConversionExample[9412:c07] ACTConversionReporter: Sending ping with IDFA: http://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/conversion/998763253/?label=abCDEFG12hIJk3Lm4nO&value=0.99&mu...

ConversionExample[9412:c07] ACTConversionReporter: Ping successful.

The important part is that the ping was successful. The next time you run your app, these types of messages indicate the download tracking snippet already fired once (the first time the app was opened after being downloaded) and does not need to fire again:

ConversionExample[2618:c07] ACTConversionReporter: Already sent successful ping with IDFA and conversion label abCDEFG12hIJk3Lm4nO.

This will require an area where you can actually download the app though. You can run a test of the code execution, and look at the Console Output from XCODE (the Integrated Development Environment for iOS) to confirm conversion ping construction and success. In order to do a true test, this would required that the app is live on the app store and there is an AdWords ad which points users to that URL with the capability of downloading the app. I hope this is helps and feel free to let me know if you have any additional questions!

Best,

Craig

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Arrggg,

Thank you for the reply.... but is it not bad that we cannot test all tracking BEFORE submitting to the app store !! Especially when an app store submission takes about 7 to 8 days !

Could google not have a place where we could upload our IPA (add-hock) and test the SDK tracking of a test campaign ? Would help a lot.

Chris

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Did you find any way to test it? I am using HTTP requests to send a conversion tracking but i need to be sure and it is already wrong on App Store now?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Nope, no reply either so....

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Question- I already uploaded the application to the store,
the conversion ping is being sent by 3rd party - server to server.
I do not see the conversions - I was said that this is since the ad is on the search network - is it true? and way?
Haim

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Could someone provide sample debug output for the latest SDK (3.2 currently)? The output from Craig's example and from the examples in the documentation here - https://developers.google.com/app-conversion-tracking/ios/ - are different than what we're seeing.

Our debug output does't include the Conversion Label and we can't tell why. It's set in the didFinishLaunchingWithOptions method according to the documentation -

[ACTConversionReporter reportWithConversionID:@"0123456789" label:@"abCDEFG12hIJk3Lm4nO" value:@"0.99" isRepeatable:NO];
return YES;

Community Manager
# 8
Community Manager
This 2014 thread has been closed to new replies.

If anyone has a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread with a descriptive subject line, and post a clear, specific and detailed question or comment.

This will help other forum members to both see and understand your question fully, and answer it in a useful and effective way.

Thanks!